fbpx

Reply: PMP Certification/Exam for Operation Managers

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Certification/Exam for Operation Managers

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 11 months ago #4124

Cornelius Fichtner

Ganapathy,

Pages 5 and 7 of the PMP Credential Handbook describe the "ideal" PMP candidate. The focus described is clearly on "leading and directing cross-functional teams to deliver projects". I personally interpret the description on these 2 pages as follows:

If the functional manager is actively performing the duties of the project manager then he or she will have the necessary experience required by the exam prerequisites and the exam is for them. If, however, the functional manager is more of a "sponsor" and someone else is managing the project in the PM role, then the exam is not for them.
9 years 11 months ago #4123

Ganapathy Sivakumar

PMP Certification though is specifically meant for Project Managers, I have always wondered if Operation Managers can certify themselves for PMP. In other words Functional Managers incharge of their departments are often involved in both "Projects" and "Operations" with the latter being in a higher ratio. Learning the concepts is open for everyone but the question comes when applying for the exam and the requisite of the 4500 hours of PDU and portraying the same in the application.

I would like to hear people's insight on this

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login