fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 10 years 3 months ago #3942

• Kevin Kraft
  • Kevin Kraft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I wrote the PMP exam last Friday after a few months of studying. There were some questions for which I clearly didn’t know the answer, but some questions were really nasty. I will need to focus on:

Buy or Sell Decisions (Lease or Buy)
Really understand SPI and CPI
Know Norming, Forming, Storming, Performing…
No questions were directly asking about specific ITTOs (know them)
I felt that none of the questions were about the Code of Ethics
Quite a few Float and Critical Path questions

What is really difficult is that not much information is provided after the test – I knew about this before going in. This is what I got back:

Initiation: Moderately Proficient
Planning: Moderately Proficient
Executing: Below Proficient
Monitoring & Controlling: Below Proficient
Closing: Below Proficient

As a long-time project manager and current senior project manager at a very large retailer, I know that failure is not failing; failure is giving up (in most cases). Back to the PMBOK and the material from Cornelius. I love the PMP PrepCast material - well done!

I took the PMP Exam Prep Boot Camp one week before the exam offered by The Knowledge Academy and found it to be largely a waste of time. It may be a good starting point for those completely new to project management, but doesn’t help as preparation for the exam. Also, their material has many errors – which the instructor apologized for many times throughout the course.

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 10 years 3 months ago #3947

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Kevin,

I am sorry that you were not successful on your first try. But I am glad to see that a pep talk isn't necessary because you have the drive and ability to self-start for your second exam that it takes. So congratulations on having the right mind-set!

My recommendation for you, however, is the same as to anyone who is taking the exam for the second time:
- Focus on answering sample exam questions from a reputable source.
- Spend as much time in reviewing the results as you spend on answering the questions. (i.e. if 100 questions took you 2 hours, then spend 2 hours on the review of questions you got wrong)
- Repeat this as often as you can and learn from the mistakes you made
- And because you feel that formulas where your problem, please do focus on formula based questions

Please see this article here for my recommendations of questions:
www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/pmp...xam-sample-questions

Keep us updated!
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Melissa Ratisher

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 10 years 2 months ago #3996

• Loic Hascher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your experience. May I ask you did some exam simulators before attending the real exam ? If yes, did you find the exam much harder than the simulators ?
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login