Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 3 years 1 day ago #3942

• Kevin Kraft
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I wrote the PMP exam last Friday after a few months of studying. There were some questions for which I clearly didn’t know the answer, but some questions were really nasty. I will need to focus on:

Buy or Sell Decisions (Lease or Buy)
Really understand SPI and CPI
Know Norming, Forming, Storming, Performing…
No questions were directly asking about specific ITTOs (know them)
I felt that none of the questions were about the Code of Ethics
Quite a few Float and Critical Path questions

What is really difficult is that not much information is provided after the test – I knew about this before going in. This is what I got back:

Initiation: Moderately Proficient
Planning: Moderately Proficient
Executing: Below Proficient
Monitoring & Controlling: Below Proficient
Closing: Below Proficient

As a long-time project manager and current senior project manager at a very large retailer, I know that failure is not failing; failure is giving up (in most cases). Back to the PMBOK and the material from Cornelius. I love the PMP PrepCast material - well done!

I took the PMP Exam Prep Boot Camp one week before the exam offered by The Knowledge Academy and found it to be largely a waste of time. It may be a good starting point for those completely new to project management, but doesn’t help as preparation for the exam. Also, their material has many errors – which the instructor apologized for many times throughout the course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Justin Flemmer, Melissa Ratisher

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 2 years 11 months ago #3947

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 157
Kevin,

I am sorry that you were not successful on your first try. But I am glad to see that a pep talk isn't necessary because you have the drive and ability to self-start for your second exam that it takes. So congratulations on having the right mind-set!

My recommendation for you, however, is the same as to anyone who is taking the exam for the second time:
- Focus on answering sample exam questions from a reputable source.
- Spend as much time in reviewing the results as you spend on answering the questions. (i.e. if 100 questions took you 2 hours, then spend 2 hours on the review of questions you got wrong)
- Repeat this as often as you can and learn from the mistakes you made
- And because you feel that formulas where your problem, please do focus on formula based questions

Please see this article here for my recommendations of questions:
www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/pmp...xam-sample-questions

Keep us updated!
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Melissa Ratisher

Failed PMP Exam – Will Pass Next Go Around 2 years 11 months ago #3996

• Loic Hascher
  • Fresh Boarder
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your experience. May I ask you did some exam simulators before attending the real exam ? If yes, did you find the exam much harder than the simulators ?
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Mary Kathrine Padua, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®