fbpx

Reply: The PMP exam is for the Project Manager only?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : The PMP exam is for the Project Manager only?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 9 months ago #3439

Yazmine Darcy

Hi,

I passed my exam last August.

Preparation is critical as well as a healthy positive attitude towards the whole process and experience.
How to do those two things is somewhat individual, so you do sort of have to find out what works for you.

I agree with the tips provided in this thread about reading and re-reading the PMBOK guide. Using the PM Prepcast and other books and resources were helpful to me as were taking practice exams.

I think taking the full exam helps - so you have an idea of how long you take over all, so you can get a breadth of questions.

Personally, I tried not to fixate too much on what my overall scores were on the practice exam.

Instead, I tried to focus on what might be missing in my understanding or test taking abilities.
Why did I not get that? Was it the way the question was phrased? Did I not understand the definition of a term used?
Do I need to re-read that section in the PMBOK Guide?

Basically, I wanted to make sure bit by bit, I was filling in the gaps for myself.

So it's not really about 'seeing the same question twice' But about being more confident if they asked a question about x. They can ask it in all sorts of ways and I'd have a good chance of getting it right.

Hope that helps.
10 years 9 months ago #3437

Peter Dakessian

Richard,

Perhaps I can help? I just recently passed my PMP exam in February, so I have recent experience on the official exam.

On your practice exams, are there certain questions/topics that you are missing frequently? Would you say that you are stronger in certain areas of the exam compared to others?

Also, did you study with the PM PrepCast? I found that listening to that every day (first thing in the morning, if possible) really helped me retain all the knowledge necessary to pass my exam.

Hope I can help!
10 years 9 months ago #3436

's Avatar

Cornelius....

This is a frustrating process.

Since we first corresponded, you suggested I take some full blown 200 question exams. Since your suggestion I have spent every Friday night 7 to 11 doing just that.

I took these exams in reverse order starting with #8.

My last exam I scored 69 percent. I thought I was getting better, but based on your charts first attempt, second attempt etc it appears maybe I am not.

It is agreed I am seeing some of the questions twice..... so is it fair to say my real score is lower and thus I am still in the loser category.

At what point I will turn the corner I am still not sure..... I have millions of hours into studying but not sure how to provide myself a more robust study process.
10 years 9 months ago #3435

Cornelius Fichtner

Richard,

As a matter of fact our knowledge about this is pretty limited. PMI is extremely tight-lipped about anything about the exam. We receive 0 (zero) information about exam scores, passing rates, etc.

What we do, however, is send all students of The PM Exam Simulator an email about 90 days after their simulator access has ended and we ask them to tell us how they fared. You can see the results of this, when you log in to the simulator and select "My Results > My Statistics > Exam Feedback".

The current statistics are attached - but please do take them with a grain of salt, because "your mileage may vary".
Attachments:
10 years 10 months ago #3410

's Avatar

Cornelius....
You have not answered the fundamental question asked of you a few days back...... I suspect your email system my still be malfunctioning.

In reviewing candidates simulator scores on the prepcast website, located in the pull down menu that also keeps in memory my personal test scores.

It appears the " average" scores of other test takers are fairly low.

We know the minimum score in no longer give by pmi, however......

I assume those knowledable in this exam have with fair certainty what those candidates passing the pmp pmp exam are scoring in the simulator. What is a minimum you are seeing that candidates should be reaching in the simulator in order to pass this exam.

Thanks.
10 years 10 months ago #3411

's Avatar

Cornelius....
You have not answered the fundamental question asked of you a few days back...... I suspect your email system my still be malfunctioning.

In reviewing candidates simulator scores on the prepcast website, located in the pull down menu that also keeps in memory my personal test scores.

It appears the " average" scores of other test takers are fairly low.

We know the minimum score in no longer give by pmi, however......

I assume those knowledable in this exam have with fair certainty what those candidates passing the pmp pmp exam are scoring in the simulator. What is a minimum you are seeing that candidates should be reaching in the simulator in order to pass this exam.

Thanks.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login