fbpx

Reply: Distribute information vs Report performance ?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Distribute information vs Report performance ?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
11 years 1 month ago #3165

Khurram Hussain

Mnay thanks for the kind words :)

Khurram
11 years 1 month ago #3159

Konstantinos Limas

Hi Khurram,

I am glad that PMI will change Communication Process group but I am afraid I am sitting for the exam before the 31st of July, so I will go with the confused edition...but you have made it clearer.

Thanks again for your reply. I believe you helped many candidates to clarify this issue.

Regards
Kostas
11 years 1 month ago #3157

Khurram Hussain

Dear Konstantinos:

As you have said, we distribute something to a person or a system. The Distribute Information process can be thought of a system. For example a project management information system is capable of distributing project information to the stakeholders once configured.

We can debate a lot on this topic. The objective here is not to protect the PMBOK4, the objective here is to help you pass your exam. If you are sitting in the exam before 31 July this year, just remember this: The Report Performance process produces the performance reports, these performance reports are distributed to the stakeholders through the Distribute Information process. All communications with the project stakeholders happen through the Distribute Information process.

If you are planning to take your exam after 31st of July, then please know that this specific topic has created confusions for many PMP candidates. This has led the PMI to remove this confusion from the PMBOK 5th edition altogether. The new communication management knowledge area in the new edition has only the following three processes:

Plan Communications Management
Manage Communications
Control Communication

Warm regards,

Khurram
11 years 1 month ago #3153

Konstantinos Limas

Hi Khurram,

Again I want to thank you for your answer. I am trying to follow you reasoning here.

So first coclusion: If we want to distribute any other information except measurement we do that with the ''Distribute Information'' process.

Now you say.....Secondly, PMBOK says that Report Performance distributes this “performance information”, it does not say that this distributes this “performance information” to the relevant stakeholders? Right? By distribution, it means that the “Performance Reports” are distributed to the Distribute Information, Manage Project Team, Monitor and Control Risks, Administer Procurements, Monitor and Control Project Work and the Perform Integrated Change Control processes.

I have to admit that I cant understand your point. How can we distribute anything to a process? We distribute something to a person or a system (correct me here). Now that person uses this information to achieve a specific goal and that action IS a process but the information goes to the person not to the process.

My understanding is that PMBOK guide has not described these two processes correctly so if we try to exlpain the processes based on PMBOK guide we will never reach concenus. We can try to ''translate'' based on our experience but this is different. Again maybe I am wrong here.

Thanks in advance
Kostas
11 years 1 month ago #3150

Khurram Hussain

Hi,

Emailing the information (sending out the SPI to the stakeholder) is the Distribute Information process. Calculating the SPI and turning this information to a standard email message for distribution is the Report Performance process.

Let me explain:

According to the PMBOK guide, the Distribute Information process is “the process of making relevant information available to project stakeholders as planned.” (PMBOK pg: 258). This include all types on information like approved change requests, project progress, events, project announcements, daily status reports as well as the project performance reports. Please note that this also includes day to day project information. It must be noted that all of the project information will go out to the relevant stakeholders through this process, regardless of the type and nature of the information.

On the other hand, the PMBOK guide defines the Report Performance process as “the process of collecting and distributing performance information, including status reports, progress measurements, and forecasts”. (PMBOK pg:266). Here we are talking about specific formal project information that is the progress measurements, formal status reports and forecasts. Also, the target recipient of such information is a small group of stakeholders and typically they are the decision makers.

Also please note that the “performance reports” are created in the Report Performance process but they are distributed to the relevant stakeholders through the Distribute Information process. (See figures on pg: 259 and 267).

I have met a number of students who were confused regarding the same concept. The main confusion arises from the PMBOK’s definition of the Report Performance process. The PMBOK guide says that we collect and distribute the performance information through the Report Performance process. Now the confusion is created due to wrong interpretation of this sentence. First of all, performance information is different from project information. Project information contains everything, while performance information is specific to project’s performance in terms of schedule and cost. Secondly, PMBOK says that Report Performance distributes this “performance information”, it does not say that this distributes this “performance information” to the relevant stakeholders? Right? By distribution, it means that the “Performance Reports” are distributed to the Distribute Information, Manage Project Team, Monitor and Control Risks, Administer Procurements, Monitor and Control Project Work and the Perform Integrated Change Control processes. (See figure on page 267).

Now the question arises how these “performance reports” reach the stakeholders for their review if the Report Performance doesn’t do that directly? The answer is, through the Distribute Information process.

I hope this answers the question and resolves the confusion.

Regards,

Khurram
11 years 1 month ago #3146

Konstantinos Limas

Hi Cornelius,

thanks for your prompt reply.

I have watched all the videos and your explanation is just fine. BUT!

Let me ask again with an example. Lets say that we have measured our schedule process and we know that our SPI= 1,3.

Now according to our communication plan we have 2 stakeholders who need this information so we send them an email with our SPI.

The question is: Is this proces (sending the SPI with email to the stakeholders) a distribute information process or a report performace process?

Maybe I have forgotten something or I have read too much the PMBOK guide.......
thanks

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login