fbpx

Reply: Finish to Start Definition:Crashing or Fast Track

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Finish to Start Definition:Crashing or Fast Track

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
11 years 1 month ago #3099

Edward Wada

Awesome.

Thank you very much for showing me how you logically ;) process the question AND the similar question (SS) was VERY helpful!

When you show me your logical process it helps me see what are the key words or part of the question that I am missing or not interpeting correctly. Thanks again.
11 years 1 month ago #3096

Khurram Hussain

“A schedule activity (Y) may begin X days before the predecessor (Z) activity finishes. If we are asked what type of logical relationship this is. How would we answer this?”

Here Y is depending on Z. Y can start when Z has finished. This means that the dependency is Finish to Start. However the question also say that Y can start X days before Z finishes, this means that a lead of X days has been assigned to Y so that for X days both Y and Z are being run in parallel. Since Y is dependent on the finish of Z minus X days, this is Finish to Start minus X days (X days of lead).

Let me change the question. “A schedule activity Y may being X days AFTER the start of predecessor Z. What type of logical relationship is this?”

Now Y can start when Z has already been started for X days. This means Y can start with the start of Z plus X days. This would be a start to start relationship with X days of lag on Y.

Does this help?

Khurram
11 years 1 month ago #3093

Edward Wada

Khurram:
Thank you for your help. I was curious how you systematically process this question, to get to the answer. Can you run me through your systematic thought process in your mind, if that makes sense.
11 years 1 month ago #3083

Khurram Hussain

Here is the graphic:
Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago #3082

Khurram Hussain

See the attached graphic for clarification. Here I have created four tasks 1,2,4 and 5 in a scheduling tool.

Task 1 has a FS relationship with Task 2

Task 4 has a FS – 3 days relationship with Task 5

As you can see, both of the relationships are FS. However the later has a lead of 3 days (i.e., - 3 days).

Your definition, "Activity must finish before successor can start", holds for a strict FS relationship. A FS relationship with a lead in the successor is not a strict FS relationship; it’s an adjustment of the FS relationship.

Does this help?

Regards,

Khurram
11 years 1 month ago #3080

Edward Wada

Thanks. I understand what a lead is.
I guess, I am getting confused why the FS definition would be
"Activity must finish before successor can start and this is the most common."

Means "Z" must finish before "Y" can start?

But it seems that the FS definition does not take into account leads? I am confused, since I understand the concept but the definition is does not seem aligned.

Help!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login