fbpx

Reply: Ahead of Schedule: Next process according to PMBOK

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Ahead of Schedule: Next process according to PMBOK

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
11 years 1 month ago #3072

Khurram Hussain

Dear Edward:

Good day!

That is another great question from you!

When you talk about “reviewing the schedule” you are talking about the Control Schedule process. This relates to Performance Reviews and Variance Analysis tools and techniques of the process. For PMBOK reading, do read the process details.

You are right that the PMBOK guide talks about “delays” when it comes to variations. It doesn’t explicitly talks about being ahead of the schedule. However, when you talk about variation, you talk about both situations. That’s good enough to defend the PMBOK guide.

Here is my explanation to your question:

If you are significantly ahead of the schedule, you need to analyze the impact of the variance on the project’s remaining schedule. You also need to adjust the remaining schedule based on the new information available. So the logical steps are variance analysis -> impact analysis -> change request.

Please note that I have used the words “significant variance” and not 6/8 months as you have said. On 99% of the projects, this would be a significant variance. However if you have a 20-year project, this might not be significant.

So if you have a significant variance on your project, either positive or negative, you need to analyze the impact and adjust the remaining schedule accordingly. However you need to go through formal change control as this adjustment will required a change to the project baseline.

Please let me know if the above clarification helps you.

Regards,

Khurram
11 years 2 months ago #3066

Edward Wada

PMBOK discusses about being proactive and we do EV to judge our performance. Most of the scenarios questions are negative.

If I am ahead of schedule :cheer: :lol: (for example 6 -8 months) based on my latest review in a scenario question, what am I suppose to do systematically next, according to PMBOK? I could not find what PMBOK recommends. Can you point me to the section in PMBOK 4 where it tells me? If there is no clear PMBOK recommedation, what is the suggested process, so I don't assume.

Thank you

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login