fbpx

Reply: One week to go - tips?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : One week to go - tips?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
12 years 7 months ago #2444

Cornelius Fichtner

Kenneth,

I'm sorry that you didn't pass the exam. That is always a frustrating moment. But please do keep your chin up, because many great project managers had to take more than one attempt also.

Here are my answers to your question:

1. When can I rebook? 2 weeks?
>> I believe that you can reschedule immediately.
>> Please be aware that PMI will not tell you your score between 8/31 and 10/15 : www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/pmp...failed-your-pmp-exam

2. I did not sign up to be a PMI member (d'oh), should I sign up now for the savings in re-booking the exam?
>> I don't think so. I believe that PMI membership is >$120 but the discount for recertification is <$50.
>> Check the PMP handbook for current prices.

3. Only Rita's book has the exam changes?
>> No! Many trainers have published updates for the new exam
>> Look at the top right of all our product websites and you'll see a golden star saying "updated for the 2011 PMP exam". All our products have been changed.
>> Look in Amazon, where you will find other books from good authors that have been updated.
12 years 7 months ago #2437

Kenneth Chan

Crammed hard the week before:
80% Exam Central & Head First
65-68% on PMstudy 1-4
70% on BrainBok
70% on 200 of the BrainBok ITTOs

Well, unfortunately I did not pass. Finished in 2 hours and spent 30 minutes reviewing.

I got moderately proficient on everything except executing/professional and social responsibility where I scored below proficient.

Was it really close?

1. When can I rebook? 2 weeks?
2. I did not sign up to be a PMI member (d'oh), should I sign up now for the savings in re-booking the exam?
3. Only Rita's book has the exam changes?
12 years 7 months ago #2417

Cornelius Fichtner

Kenneth,

It's a tough call. You've done some studying, but you haven't read the PMBOK Guide (or didn't mention it). You are scoring a bit low on your sample exams, but then again you do have a time slot scheduled for the 25th. (Some people would kill to get the exam done before it changes on the 31st.)

Based on what you wrote I would normally have to advise you to reschedule your exam and study some more. But because the exam is changing, I'm willing to give you a somewhat riskier proposition: Go for it.

Hunker down, study as much as you can in the coming days, take as many sample questions as you can and give it a try. See if you can get your exam done before it changes. Based on your scores you are at borderline, but with the exam changing soon, you might want to give it a go.
12 years 7 months ago #2412

Adam Leslie

Conventional wisdom is that you need ~80% on FULL practice exams.

For me, taking exams and then looking at the questions I missed IN DEPTH was far more valuable than reading the PMBOK. I cannot stress enough the importance of learning why you got each and every questions wrong. It builds your own "lessons learned" database of where you are weak, and lets you directly attack your problem areas.
12 years 7 months ago #2409

Kenneth Chan

I just purchased PM Prepcast a few days ago and began watching 3+ hours a day. Great tool, professors should take lessons on it. I wish I purchased it earlier.

My exam is on the 25th.

I've done the following in 2 months since signing up for the PMP exam:

-Read Rita v6 book once, doing all chapter end exams and scoring 60% on average, skimmed it again and scored 70% on average -- memorized her process chart
-Read the PM Head First book and did exam, scoring 66%
-Read PMBOK v4 once during all of this
-Did PMPerfect's 18 exams and quizzes --stared out at 60%, scoring 65-75%
-Did Lehman's test and scored 60%

I understand you need to be proficient in every category, does that mean I need at least 61% in each category?

I have not memorized the formulas yet or the ITTOs. On the brainbok tests I get 60-65% of the ITTO's right.

Should I read the PMBOK again and do the 4 PMstudy exams this weekend?

I'm debating changing my exam date because I am running out of time. :unsure: Advice? Thanks Cornelius!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login