fbpx

Reply: Preparing for Exam.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Preparing for Exam.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
12 years 8 months ago #2273

Anjali Riat

Thanks Tarek,

I will be waiting for your decision :)
Hope you update it here.

I am also yet to decide. I did not know it is that expensive. That would be a negative point against it.

Do let us know what you decide as well as what your experience is.

Regards,
Anjali
12 years 8 months ago #2272

Tarek Al-Fahham

Thanks again Anjali.

I really feel confortable when sharing experience with others.

With regards to Rita Fastrack, the only problem I found is that the references to the correct answers are pointing to Riat Book which I don't have. Also, it is expensive: US$300.00.

Also, since I am an active member of Google Groups "PMP Cert Online Study Group", I did not get recommendation for PM Exam Simulator. Also, most of the Lessons Learned are recommending the free Exam Samples and mainly the one from PMStudy.com (I think they have free ones).

I really have to take decision which way to go (Free or Commercial, and which one) to have a peace of mind. I must take decision within the coming 10 hours.

Tarek.
12 years 8 months ago #2271

Anjali Riat

Hi,

If you don't have the time to read the PMBOK, the next best thing would be to just read the sections you are weak in. You are anyway going to identify the week ares by giving exams. One thing I have learned is not to get worried by what other people are saying. That causes unnecessary stress :)

I think that the head first exam is reputed to be on the easier side. 78% is a decent score, and you can use it to learn your weaker areas, spend some time on them and then do another exam to see how your score improves. If you are starting at this 78%, and the only way to go is up, then you will be ready for the exam in another 6/7 days.

I plan on taking the head first exam by Wednesday/Thursday and will share my score of it with you then.

Regards,
Anjali
12 years 8 months ago #2270

Tarek Al-Fahham

Hi Anjali,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and comments about my plan.

I think your plan looks very solid. I cannot see any gaps in it.

My exam is scheduled on 27 Jul, and I don't think I have time to read the PMBok, and I would rather spend time on taking sample exam, Free or Commercial. But, I will for sure try to read it as per your advice.

My plan is focused on identifying my weak areas, and make the needed correction by reading the related topics (of my weak areas) from the PMBok.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the score I got from Head First free exam which is 78%.

Tarek.
12 years 8 months ago #2269

Anjali Riat

Hi Tarek,

I am also preparing for the exam. Mine is on 2nd of August. When is yours? Unfortunately, there is no one around me or in my office who is also studying for the PMP exam, so it becomes difficult to determine how slow or on track I am with the preparations.

I cannot comment on whether your preparation is on track or not, but I can tell you where I am. Maybe we can help each other stay on track along the way.

I have completed the following -
1) PM prepcast - except the applied concept series.
2) PMBOK guide reading -

I had read it once before the prepcast. I am reading it again. I browse through the prepcast and on the PMBOK printout, I highlight the sections that I think I want to read again (if I have time). I also add some notes in the margins based on material in the prepcast.

I have completed this for Procurements, Risk, Communications, HR, Scope, and Integration. I went through the chapters backwards because I have a tendency to lose steam towards the end... so I wanted to pass through PMBOK in both directions :)

3) I have done a some sets of free questions from preparePM, and I have downloaded a paid application on my phone with sample questions and tests. I do this when ever I am out and I have some extra time.

I have NOT done a complete test, so I cannot really judge how much I know. Unfortunately, I keep putting it off to complete the round of reading/prepcast that I am currently doing. I am working on free sample questions from various sites, but that does not give me an actual percentage score.

My plan going forward is -
1) Complete the reading of PMBOK for Time, Cost, Quality by Friday.
2) Purchase the PM Formula guide and finish the questions by Friday (when I am working on Cost)
3) Spend some time with Professional responsibility on the weekend.

I will be purchasing either Rita Mulcahy's Fasttrack software or PMP Exam simulation. I am currently leaning towards Fasttrack, because most of my preparation has been with products by OSP International. I feel that I may get biased towards their language and style, and might find the actual exam questions difficult because of that.

I have taken planned leaves from my work place from the 26th onwards. In those 6 days before the exam I am going to focus on only questions. I plan to take one full exam per day and analyze it and focus on the areas of concern through the rest of the day.

What do you think of my plan. Please let me know. Others comments are also welcome.

As far as my comments on your preparation -
1) I think you should take some time out to ready the PMBOK at least once. There are some parts of it that are really important, and after all, it is the "text book" for the exam.
2) It is a good thing you are taking exams already. That is the only concert I have about my study plan and approach.
3) Are you planning on purchasing any question bank/exam simulator??

Regards,
Anjali
12 years 8 months ago #2268

Tarek Al-Fahham

In Head First Free Exam, I found (at aleast one) a clear mistake, check the following:

Question number: 23
Which of the following is NOT an input of the Administer Procurements process?

A. Work Performance Information
B. Procurement Management Plan
C. Contract
D. Procurement Documents

The answer is "B" as per this free exam results, which is incorrect.

See page 337 of PMBok Guide.

I am considering to stop reviewing my results from this exam, and choose one of the commercial exams.

Tarek.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login