fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Having trouble preparing and understanding for PMP

Having trouble preparing and understanding for PMP 13 years 7 months ago #1630

• Brian Mann
  • Brian Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hopefully someone can help me out on this one or has been in the same situation. I currently have been watching and listening to the PMP Prep cast and reading the PMBOK guide for a little over a month off and on as the information sometimes clicks and then I seem to forget it and have to review it again trying to get focused. I have been a project manager for the past 7 years though at a lower level since I have only done about 50 percent of the information described in the PMBOK guide though I was cleared to take the test on the 21st of October by PMI. I have a PMTI bootcamp on the 17th through the 20th in which I am taking the PMP exam the day after. I am a bit scared that I will fail the PMP Exam at this point of my studies as it just does not seem to sink in and I am a horrible test taker at that only scoring about 50 percent and sometimes lower on the practice exams from PMstudy.com and other test sites that I have been taken. I was wondering if PMTI bootcamp is designed for someone like me to better understand PMI's methodologies, tools and techniques, and all the information covered in the PMBOK guide to pass the test with some knowledge before going to the bootcamp? I would really like to know if it is feasable to pass this test with my knowledge + PMTI bootcamp or should I take the bootcamp and then study more afterwards. I appreciate any feedback on any suggestions!!!!

Re:Having trouble preparing and understanding for PMP 13 years 7 months ago #1631

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Brian,

I think that the most important statement in your situation is "I am a horrible test taker".

To me this means that while you probably have all the knowledge and experience to pass the PMP exam, you "freeze up" during the actual exam and that you have trouble getting through the 200 questions in 4 hours.

My recommendation: Practice. Practice. Practice.

Unfortunately, my own PMP Exam Simulator will only come out in about 2 months, which is when you will already be a certified PMP. So for now, I recommend that you go ahead and subscribe to another Exam Simulator online and continue to practice exam questions. (i.e. www.pm-prepcast.com/readysetpass )

In this way you a) practice the exam and b) you can gauge where you have holes and must study the materials again. I believe that doing exam over exam over exam will be the best approach for you rather than taking yet another class.

Practice what you will be tested on.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login