fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP exam in person - delay of results

PMP exam in person - delay of results 5 months 2 weeks ago #30972

• Camille De La Vega
  • Camille De La Vega's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
hi, I will pass my PMP exam in person in a Pearson View center in december and I am wondering if I will have a delay due to the new security methods that are applied. As I am in person, there is no risk of misconduct, do I will have to wait up to 5 business days?

PMP exam in person - delay of results 5 months 2 weeks ago #30973

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Camille,

it is my understanding that there is a 5-day wait regardless of where you take the exam (home or at a testing center). I was not able to find this on the PMI site however, but recall that it came up in another discussion on the boards.

H
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camille De La Vega

PMP exam in person - delay of results 5 months 2 weeks ago #30974

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I agree with Harry, Camille: you will not, unfortunately, know your results straightaway, but will have to wait "up to" five working days for the validated results to be communicated to you.

In the PMI press release about the changes that were implemented at the end of September 2023, they was no differentiation between people taking the exam online remotely and those taking the exam in a testing centre. After all, everyone takes the exam online. The only difference is in the surveillance of candidates -- by testing centre staff or by online proctors.

The good news is that some candidates seem to be receiving their validated result emails quite rapidly after the exam, so you may not need to wait the full five working days. All the best with everything and I hope you won't have a long wait.
Dominic Hickey, PMP

PMP exam in person - delay of results 5 months 4 hours ago #31033

• Rafael Hoyos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I failed my second attempt yesterday. :( .. This time, it felt more organic; I've studied a lot and can explain the material easily. I have a problem with the time provided by the exam. Last time I couldn't get to 18. This time I was kind of rushing through the questions while completing the third section, and ended up not being able to answer too. I am going to change my study plan, and only schedule the exam when I start getting 80% on all quizzes. :(

PMP exam in person - delay of results 4 months 4 weeks ago #31034

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Hey Rafael,
First of all, my commiserations with you on that news. It can't be easy to write about. Your openness is all to your credit. Also, your evident clarity on why it happened puts you in a very good position to resolve the issue that is keeping you from achieving the desired result. From your previous posts here, I'd already got the impression that you've covered the material in depth and aren't lacking in knowledge as a Project Manager, so you're well on your way.

Since the problem you've identified is not having enough time during the exam to address each question as you'd like, how has this aspect been for you been during the practice exams in PM Prepcast? Did you find it easier to complete the practice exams in the time provided? In the quizzes, have you found that your scores are much better if you have more time?
In some respects, it's sad that anyone's ability as an effective Project Manager is assessed and decided by their performance in answering multiple-choice questions in a very limited time. That's the nature of standardized testing in the modern world, to which we have all become accustomed and to which we have to conform. We all know people who excel in such exam settings but who perform terribly in real-life settings in the same domain, so don't let the setbacks that you've had in the PMP exam so far dent your confidence in yourself as a good PM!

To increase your overall speed in the exam, have you tried training yourself in that aspect, i.e. allotting yourself even less time per question than the exam would on average, in order to perform optimally when under increased time pressure?
If I recall correctly, there's an average of 1 minute and 16.66 seconds per question during the exam (230 minutes/180 questions), assuming zero review time at the end. In that case, how about testing yourself on batches of questions while allowing yourself, for example, a maximum of 1 minute?

There's also perhaps the question of time management decisions during the exam. When observing the countdown timer during the PMP exam, have you had goal times by which to complete each section? If you have gone past those target times, how have you managed your answering approach at those moments in order not to go too far over time. Have you used the 'Review' button for questions that you couldn't answer quickly, in order to come back to them later? It's always better to give yourself an opportunity to read all of the questions; some of the final ones may be those that only require seconds for you to identify the correct answer, thus increasing your success rate.

Thinking back to my own experience, I recall feeling more rushed during the real exam, taking far more time to answer each question than I had been used to when doing the practice exams. Maybe the thing that saved me from over-shooting the allotted time was being increasingly strict with myself as time went on, forcing myself to either choose an answer in a very short time or to hit review, move on and come back to the missing ones later.

Whatever strategies you use to work on your exam-taking technique, don't lose heart. You're far from alone and you're building useful skills for future assessment situations.
Dominic Hickey, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login