fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Best guides for reference

Best guides for reference 8 months 4 weeks ago #30724

• Collene Smith
  • Collene Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Now that the book "Process Groups: a practice guide" is available, is it better to purchase that in tandem with the 7th edition PMBOK or use the 6th edition PMBOX with the 7th edition? Both cost about the same. I have the 7th edition already.

Best guides for reference 8 months 4 weeks ago #30726

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I wouldn't counsel getting the PMBOK 6th edition unless money's no object. The Process Groups Practice Guide (PGPG) is essentially the core content from PMBOK 6th edition that isn't in PMBOK 7th edition, in a more up-to-date text. However, the PGPG might not be of the greatest use in preparing for the PMP exam, either. It's good for getting to know the PMI's official processes, which might be good in building one's knowledge and skills as a Project Manager... but that's not the same thing as passing the PMP exam!

Do you already have the Agile Practice Guide? If not, I'd advise getting that one first. In the course that I followed, the training school's two core texts were PMBOK 7th edition and the Agile Practice Guide. The PGPG hadn't been published when our course started, but I bought an electronic version a few months before my exam. On reflection, I don't feel that having read the PGPG contributed to my success in the exam, whereas the Agile Practice Guide was pivotal.
Dominic Hickey, PMP
Last edit: by Dominic Hickey.

Best guides for reference 8 months 3 weeks ago #30727

• Collene Smith
  • Collene Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Dominic! I have the Agile Practice Guide. Was just wondering about the process for PMBok as the 7th edition is very light, in my opinion. I will just go ahead and get the 6th edition as well.

All the best,
Collene

Best guides for reference 8 months 3 weeks ago #30728

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Collene,

Here is a link to the PMI PMP exam information:

www.pmi.org/certifications/project-manag...pmp-exam-preparation

At the bottom, you will find a list of most used reference books. I don't see the new book Process Groups listed there, but it might be a great reference overall to supplement the other material. I would definitely phase out PMBOK 6th edition if you are planning on reading the Process Groups book. Other than that, please remember that the PMP exam is not a test of the PMBOK Guide. Feel free to use the link I sent to get more information about the exam and what it covers. The ECO would be a great starting point, and then you can check back on this website where you can also find a wealth of information with clearer explanations if something still does not click. Wish you the best in your studies and good luck on the exam!

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vivian Calender
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login