fbpx

Reply: Compare the prepcast simulator to the actual exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Compare the prepcast simulator to the actual exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
11 months 3 weeks ago #30379

Jonathan Hebert - Admin

Hello Dominic,
Thank you for your feedback and recommendations. What you shared about the various experiences in the study group despite all using the PrepCast simulator is consistent with others who contact us or comment in the Forum.
Your advice and the comment about not being discouraged will be so helpful for those that might be overly concerned that their scores aren't as high as they feel they should be. We consider someone scoring in the 70 percent band and up in the simulator prepared to take the PMP exam. This is based on the feedback from students who have taken and passed the exam and is available on the My Statistics page on the Exam Feedback tab. (see attached image).

Reviewing the attached table shows that those who score between 70-80% on their 1st attempt to answer questions passed the PMP Exam on their first attempt 93% percent of the time. Even those who score 60-70% in the simulator passed the PMP Exam on their first attempt 88% percent of the time. So to reiterate your advice, don't be discouraged or demotivated by scores you consider too low to be ready to take your PMP Exam. Confidence positively affects your performance, just as doubt can be detrimental. Thank you for recommending that others check out the PMP Exam Lessons Learned section in this Forum. It contains a wealth of information that could help you prepare well and pass your exam.

Congratulations on passing your exam and with ATs in all domains!! Getting this feedback makes our day at the PM PrepCast. Knowing that we helped someone like you reach an important career milestone is the best pay/compensation possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your and your study group's experience with the PMP aspirants that read our form. Your experience and feedback with others who may be unnecessarily doubtful or worried. Your words are authentic, supportive, and confidence-building and could make all the difference for others on exam day!

"Anecdata", I think you should submit this new word to Webster's or Random House to include in the next version of their dictionary. Do you mind if I use it, with the proper citation, of course? ;)
Best regards,

Jonathan Hebert
OSP International LLC
Attachments:
11 months 3 weeks ago #30378

Dominic Hickey

Hello Robert,
My PMP exam was in late January 2023. It's difficult to compare the two systems' results, since in the PrepCast exam simulator you see your score represented by a percentage, while after the real exam you only see whether you passed/failed, accompanied by a visual representation of your overall score relative to 'Needs Improvement', 'Below Target', 'Target', and 'Above Target'. (The first of those segments are failing scores, the second two are passing scores.)

In the practice exams, taken in the four weeks before my PMP exam, my scores went from 72.2% to 83.3% (all passes). By the fourth one, I was feeling pretty comfortable with the subject areas. During the real PMP exam, I found the questions tougher to answer but ended up getting an overall Above Target score, with AT in all three areas (People, Process, and Business Environment). The visual representation put my overall score line at about 1/3 of the way above the Above Target threshold, so I was very happy with my result.

My advice would be to take each person's reported experience as "anecdata" rather than objective facts on which to base your own plan. In my study group, others who passed found the real exam easier than the PrepCast exam simulator, so perceptions can be very different from candidate to candidate..
If you're feeling familiar with the subject matter and know that you've done good preparation work, don't be demotivated by your simulator scores if they're not as high as you'd hope. If you are passing the simulator exams, you're even more likely to be successful on the day, so go for it! Learn from all the exam question solutions and the overall experience and go into the PMP exam with confidence.
Also, if you haven't already, check out the PMP Exam Lessons Learned section in this Forum to read in more detail about people's recent experiences in the exam and our recommendations about how to prepare optimally.
11 months 3 weeks ago #30377

Robert Oliver

I have done a lot of studying and have my pmp exam coming up soon. For anyone that has recently taken the exam. Id like to know how the pm prep cast practice exams compare to the real exam. Are the questions easier / harder. Did you do better or worse on the exam vs the simulator.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login