fbpx

Reply: PMBOK 7th edition and Simulator

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMBOK 7th edition and Simulator

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 1 month ago #29027

Harry Elston

PMI is not making this easy for anyone, are they?
2 years 1 month ago #29026

Cornelius Fichtner

With all due respect to PMI, their support agents are likely following a script that doesn't take all the nuances into consideration. Their recommendation to only use PMBOK 7 is inaccurate and makes you think that PMBOK 6 is no longer needed. That is incorrect. Let me explain it better in two points:

First.

On its own website, PMI says the following:

"The exam is based on the PMP certification exam content outline (ECO), not the (PMBOK® Guide) or other reference books. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – 7th Edition will now be a reference to inform the development of the exam items. However, before any validated exam item is added to the exam, there is a very rigorous and thorough review and field test cycle. This process takes multiple months."

This note was published only about 2 months ago. Therefore, the process on PMI's side has barely started and is still ongoing, which means that the great majority of the questions on the exam are using PMBOK 6 as a reference. I do not expect that PMI will finish this process before the end of 2022-June-30.

Second.

The PMBOK Guide 7th edition clearly states, that the process-oriented content from previous versions is NOT outdated, just because PMBOK 7 has now been published. Here it is:

"Nothing in this edition […] negates alignment with the process-based approach of past editions. The process-based approach remains relevant in the context of this new edition."

In essence, this means that if you are preparing for the PMP exam, you will STILL have to know how project cost management, schedule management, risk management, etc. is done. You WILL get questions about how to do process oriented project work on the exam, but PMBOK 7 does NOT address these "hard skills". And guess what... the current best resource for getting this information in a condensed form is by studying PMBOK 6. (In the future, this will shift to PMI's new Standards+ repository).

In summary.
- You will need the knowledge from all 10 official PMP reference books (including BOTH PMBOK 6 and 7) to pass your exam.
- The questions in our simulator are based on the Exam Content Outline and they use the official books as their references (Including both PMBOK 6 and 7).
- I do not expect the questions on the exam to change substantially anytime soon
- We are following the same process in updating our simulator questions as we understand PMI to update theirs.

Please take a look at this video here
where I go much more in detail and discuss the question update process.
2 years 1 month ago #29025

Jason Maloney

I am in the same boat as NanR. I emailed PMI to see what I should be focusing on and they said the 7th edition. On all of the practice tests done so far, I have not seen any reference to the 7th edition. I feel like I won't be adequately prepared using this simulator if the questions won't be similar to what I see on the actual exam in April.
2 years 1 month ago #29022

NanR

I am planning to take my test in April, and have already completed PMBOK 7th edition. I bought Prepcast to review some videos but they seem to be arranged in the order that was found in 6th edition. I am confused how should I proceed now. should I go back and read 6th ed. as the exam will stop using 6th ed. in March but I am taking the test in April. any word of help will be appreciated.
2 years 2 months ago #29006

Cornelius Fichtner

PMI members can download it from this page here: www.pmi.org/pmbok-guide-standards/foundational/pmbok (scroll down)

Please note that PMI announced this week, that they will stop offering the PMBOK Guide 6th edition effective March 31, 2022.
2 years 2 months ago #29005

Kase Saunders

Where did you find the PMBOK 6 download? PMI is only offering PMBOK 7 that I can find.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login