fbpx

Reply: Wired internet connection is slower than wifi?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Wired internet connection is slower than wifi?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 4 months ago #24677

Jing Gao

Hi Charlie. I spent hours trying to fix the "problem" by trying different cables, ports, updating driver, etc. Nothing worked and I decided to use wifi. Quite a relief to hear wired connection is only marginally more stable. I will have the router right next to my computer and ask family not to use wifi on the exam day. Hopefully it will be fine.B)
3 years 4 months ago #24676

Jing Gao

Hi Gabriella. Thanks for sharing your experience. I probably will put the router at the door of my home office where I take the exam and ask my family not to use wifi during it.
3 years 4 months ago #24669

Charlie

Computer scientist here :)
The wired connection is only marginally more stable than wifi because it guarantees an exclusive connection to the router BUT if nobody else in the house uses wifi (and therefore competing for bandwidth) or more simply starts a microwave in between your device and the router than wifi is equally stable and indeed faster (although this is not only due to higher wifi bandwidth but also due to how data packages are transmitted, which is more efficient on wifi). The big unknown will always be the segment from the router to the provider and then to the other world, on which one has little control and can only hope it will keep stable through the exam. Unless there is planned maintenance at the provider, usually night hours are more stable, because less users.
Off the soap box now. :)
3 years 4 months ago #24654

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Jing,

I had to use my wi-fi connection, as I didn't have any other option when I took the online exam. I think I was lucky not to experience any issues, but I've heard some candidates had problems due to a connection drop during the exam.
I believe the reason why the wired connection is recommended is that it is usually more stable than the wi-fi. Anyway, the minimum speed requirements are 3Mbps in download and 2Mbps in upload, so even 30Mbps should be okay.

Gabriella
3 years 4 months ago #24605

Jing Gao

Hello,
I am going to take my exam in two weeks. As recommended by Pearson, I want to use wired connection to take online exam. But by checking internet speed, I found my wifi speed is ~100 Mbs, whereas my wired speed is less than 30 Mbs. Has anyone had this issue and used wifi to take the exam? Was there any problem during exam? Thank you!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login