fbpx

Reply: Role of a PM in the RACI chart?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Role of a PM in the RACI chart?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 2 months ago #1297

Rene Plattner

Thanks for the clear statement!

Nice regards, René
14 years 2 months ago #1296

Bala R

Hello René,

In RACI chart for any task there will be one person who will be "Accountable". (Please refer PMBOK) It means the "Accountable" person has to own the task but he can delegate to others or make someone "Responsible" to perform that task. In essence doer is "responsible" for completing the activity but if something goes wrong the "Accountable" person has to answer. Hope this would help you in understanding the difference between these 2 key words.

Thanks,
Bala R, PMP
14 years 2 months ago #1257

Cornelius Fichtner

Am besten auf folgende email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
14 years 2 months ago #1256

Rene Plattner

Hallo Cornelius!

Ich hoffe, es macht nichts, wenn ich in Deutsch schreibe, aber ich habe trotzdem noch eine Frage zu diesem Thema. Wie kann ich Dich am Besten Kontaktieren und mein Anliegen besprechen?

Danke, Rene
14 years 3 months ago #1072

Cornelius Fichtner

René,

The magic word is "Delegation".

Yes, as the project manager you are ultimately responsible for the overall success of the project. But you cannot handle every task of your project, which is why we delegate the execution of tasks to our project team members.

And as part of the assignment you also delegate the R and the A. Here is a simple definition of these 2 words that I found and like:

Responsibility is the 'ability to respond'. For you to do the job, you are assigned, you simply need an ability to do it. Whether you do it well, or not, is another matter.

Accountability is the 'ability to be brought to a count'. In other words, your work is checked and verified that it has been completed well, accurately and in accordance to the goal that was set.

So if you assign a task to Peter, then you automatically also assign the R&A to him. You as the project manager you retain the R&A for the overall project, but Peter assumes R&A for his task.

Your name should only appear in those boxes of the RACI chart where you are truly and actively involved.
14 years 3 months ago #1064

Rene Plattner

Hello!
As student of the PMBOK I am trying to apply some of their T&T´s in my dayly life as project manager.

In one of my projects I want to introduce a RACI chart.
What I am doing hard is to differ between
Resposinble and Accountable.

Isn´t the PM resoposible for "everything"?
I mean: If I have a sub task resp. a sub project or lets lets say a
"work package" and I a have a person who has to fullfill this task,
what is my role in the RACI chart?
Is it "R"? Is it "A"? or is my name under "I" or "C"?

I hope this question is not too stupid!

Thanks for any feedback,
René from Austria

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login