fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Which should I take?

Which should I take? 3 years 5 months ago #23880

• Lindsey Goodman
  • Lindsey Goodman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My application expired 1/21/21. I’ve been studying the current test for the last 5-6ish weeks. Any advice on whether I should stay the course or try to start over and study for the new format? I’m studying about 2-4hrs a day but getting about 60% on practice questions.

Which should I take? 3 years 5 months ago #23913

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Lindsey,

it is really hard to tell, as I believe this is a very subjective assessment. For sure, based on statistics, you should try to improve your test results, but I cannot tell whether the new exam will make it easier or harder.
For me, I tend to feel more comfortable with what I already know or at least I am familiar with, and having more than a couple of months left before the exam changes, I would give it a try. But again: this is me...

I found it useful to study on a regular basis (a few hours a day, just like you are doing) rather than having a full weekend studying and then pause until the following weekend. I would recommend to focus on what challenges you the most with the questions. Is there a specific knowledge area/process group where you perform lower? When you review the questions you answered incorrectly, what did you find challenging: was it the way a scenario is described? was it a concept you misunderstood?

Hope this helps,

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

Which should I take? 3 years 5 months ago #23915

• Elena Mekhanoshina
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Lindsey,
This is a tough call.
If you decide to wait for the new exam, you will deal with the ambiguity about the new format, courses will need to be renewed, it would take some time. Study time, I'm pretty sure, will remain the same, it's not a shortcut to wait for a new exam.
On the other hand, there is a well-aged current exam with tons of collected experiences on how to prepare for it, which scores one should be hitting on practice exams, etc. You've been studying for 1-1.5 months now, it might be not enough to prepare well for the exam. Getting 60% after 1 month of preparation is normal. It's important how you strategize your preparations, whether you have a clear plan on how you prepare, and how you work with the practice results. For me, practice tests/exams were a good indicator where I lacked knowledge. If you consistently work on the areas where you lack understanding/knowledge, you should see in the results that you at least get better in % for these areas. Btw, when you mention practice questions, do you mean just quizzes, or practice exams? Once you have familiarised yourself with all the areas of PMBOK, I encourage you to start taking practice 4-hrs exams. It will give you a holistic, 360-degree view, of your knowledge.
To have confidence when taking an exam, it's best to target consistently getting at least 75% or more on practice exams, whatever you would choose: the current or the new exam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie
Last edit: by Elena Mekhanoshina.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login