fbpx

Reply: Residual risks and Watch list

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Residual risks and Watch list

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
1 year 7 months ago #29660

Kabir Hussain

's Avatar

As per my understanding for residual risk we will contigency reserves
Risk type : Residual risk
Response Strategy : Active Acceptance
Reponse Plan : Fallback Plan (Reserved Plan, Backup Plan)
3 years 5 months ago #23802

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Congratulations, Massimo! Happy to hear that!

Gabriella
3 years 5 months ago #23799

Massimo Berruti

Thanks Gabriella. Yes it looks like a "logical" mystery! Sooner or later we will find out. Anyway I am happy I passed my PMP last Friday with 5 AT's - it's been a long but rewarding journey.
3 years 5 months ago #23794

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Thanks, Massimo. It looks like I have forgotten about that difference, so thank you for reminding it to me! :-)
I totally agree with your interpretation regarding having no plan designed for passively accepted risks. So I would also expect that—should one of those risks arise—you as the PM would need to implement a workaround. As workarounds are not planned in advance, though, I would expect management reserves to be used, which brings me back to your point, I guess.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help in there, but it truly is an interesting (and intricate) question!

Gabriella
3 years 5 months ago #23743

Massimo Berruti

Hi Gabriella,
I mean page 443 of PMBOK 6th edition, last bullet point, where they say: "Acceptance can be either active or passive. The most common active acceptance strategy is to establish a contingency reserve, including amounts of time, money, or resources to handle the threat if it occurs. Passive acceptance involves no proactive action apart from periodic review of the threat to ensure that it does not change significantly".
It seems no reserve (nor plan whatsoever) is allocated for risks in passive acceptance. They are just identified, analyzed and placed in a Watchlist because deemed low-priority and not worth any proactive action. Some prep books like Rita's say that we perform Workarounds for them, if they do occur, during "Monitor Risks". They would seem good candidates to utilize Management reserves, if it wasn't that Mgmt reserves are allocated for unknown-unknowns, and risks in passive acceptance are by no means unknown.
Thank you very much for your time.
Massimo
3 years 5 months ago #23738

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Massimo,

what do you mean by active vs. passive acceptance? Do you have any reference in mind for that?

Gabriella

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login