fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: What is the difference between idea/mind mapping and affinity diagram?

What is the difference between idea/mind mapping and affinity diagram? 6 years 6 months ago #11739

• Steven Mudrinich, PMP
  • Steven Mudrinich, PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
A simple way to think about it is logical structure to the relationships between ideas. In an affinity diagram, ideas are logically organized based on their relationship to each other. For example, if I am working on a project for an airport, I may organize my tasks based on the things I need to construct in a sequential order for project success: runway, taxiways, tower, terminal, etc. Meanwhile, a mind map is less logically structured, where ideas are floated out there that may or may not relate to each other. It makes it easier to visualize data or discover relationships between dissimilar ideas.

- Steven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christine Fernandes, Ashish Kumar
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login