fbpx

Reply: Two questions for which I don't agree with answers. Please give your opinion.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Two questions for which I don't agree with answers. Please give your opinion.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 6 months ago #23434

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

If I may add something, it looks to me there are some made-up terms which sound misleading to me; for example, while I get the sense of a risk rating matrix, there is no such a thing in the PMBOK Guide, and the matrix is commonly called a "probability & impact matrix".
Similarly, while you may identify sources of overall project risk (as part of the Identify Risks process) and you will be able to quantify the overall project risk exposure (as part of the Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis process), I couldn't think of any action to "rank" overall risk, as in fact you may think of the prioritisation of individual project risks as some sort of ranking—which would not be appropriate either, as a ranking implies a quantification that you do not have at this stage.

My 2 cents here.

Gabriella
3 years 6 months ago #23415

Devin

It's there, technically, because the risk report (communicated at whatever interval is outlined in the communication plan) will show overall project risk. But that overall project risk is the current level of triggered risks, not something you produce as a statistic on your first pass through the risk planning processes.

The key to passing the PMP exam is to get a sense of the context of the question. The question is clearly about the project team doing a lot of risk identification (33) and other extremely detailed risk analysis without including any expert. PMBOK (423), "Risks can be assessed in interviews or meetings with participants selected for their familiarity with the types of risk recorded in the risk register. Project team members and knowledgeable persons external to the project are included". Other tools to gather risks are meetings, interviews, risk workshops, etc.

Candidates that don't do well on the exam tend to poorly analyze the question. They say read the question carefully. Actually, you need to understand the context of the question carefully. Get a sense of where it is going. It's kind of like those "what's different in this picture" game. You need to step into the question as see yourself as the PM.

When you pick Answer C, you are not analyzing the question carefully, but merely picking out an answer that makes sense to you. You need to pick the answer that best fits the context.

I think it's like those "magic eye" puzzles, once you see how to do it, these questions become much easier.

Hope this helps.
3 years 6 months ago #23414

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

You are right. It is not there in the PMBOK guide. But it is there in another book I read. Thank you.
3 years 6 months ago #23413

Devin

On what page of the PMBOK (in Perform Qualitative Risk Analysis) can you find that the "overall risk ranking of the project is also given in this stage so that it can be compared to the risk ranking of other projects". I don't think that is correct, but willing to change my answer if you can find support from the PMBOK. Where are you getting that from?
3 years 6 months ago #23411

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

Hi Devin,

I still have a doubt about the first question. The question says that risks were rated on a matrix and quality of the data was assessed. So, clearly the project was in Qualitative Risk analysis process. Generally, the overall risk ranking of the project is also given in this stage so that it can be compared to the risk ranking of other projects. Clearly, it was not done. Question says they were proceeding to the next stage, which can be either Quantitative Risk analysis or Plan Risk Responses. I understand that option D is correct because there can be many stakeholders outside of the Project Team. But, option C is also correct. So, if I understand correctly, option D is selected because it is a better answer than option C. Not because option C is wrong.

Rahul
3 years 6 months ago #23361

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

Hi Devin,

I understand now. They tricked me well with Quantitative analysis --> Monte Carlo and experts in off-site locations --> Internet.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login