fbpx

Reply: Fast Tracking & Crashing techniques?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Fast Tracking & Crashing techniques?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 7 months ago #22898

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

I also believe it depends on the question, and the scenario described.
However, if the action implies a change to the schedule baseline and/or to the cost baseline, you have to go through a change request.

Gabriella
3 years 7 months ago #22890

Viswa Kathir

Hi,
It actually depends on the question,

For example, if the question says, the schedule is behind the baseline and you want to bring back the schedule according to the baseline, then crashing or fast-tracking may not need a CR to follow.
If the question says, the schedule is behind and the manager has to do schedule changes, then CR is required irrespective of the schedule compression method.

Regards,
Viswa
3 years 7 months ago #22887

Sharad Sinha

So if i summarise correctly
Crashing -> change request is always required to update the cost baseline
Fast Tracking -> no change request is required. But here as well the schedule is reduced by putting the actives in parallel. So i believe Change request is also required to update the schedule baseline

Please correct my understanding if my understanding is wrong
3 years 7 months ago #22876

Devin

I'd be careful here. You only have to submit a change request if the document is approved, baselined and under configuration management. I had an ACTUAL PMP exam question that described a situation in which the schedule was approved and baselined but NOT under configuration management. You only needed to get approval to change from the functional manager over scheduling.

That being said I would think FAST TRACKING would probably require a change request IF said activity exceeded a threshold in the schedule management plan (and was previously baselined and under configuration management). Cost baseline may or may not be affected since new resources aren't being used.

On the flip side, CRASHING would probably not affect the schedule, but would affect the cost baseline (since we are adding more people). Again, if it exceeds your planned threshold and baselined/approved and under configuration management, you need to issue a change request.

Your projects will naturally trend above and below the PMB due to funding limits and certain activities may take longer or less time and we won't issue a change request otherwise we will always be on schedule and cost because we would be adjusting both throughout the project, which negates any PM metric tracking. It's like running a race, but having the finish line move towards us!

So, long story short, as I recall from my exam the CR answer was often a trap answer and other answers were often better. A CR is corrective action, but the PMP exam likes problem solving and communication before inputting a CR, in my humble opinion.

Best advice, read the question and understand the context.
3 years 7 months ago #22872

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Anthony,

once you have an approved baseline for your project, any modification needed to it has to go through a formal change request - as the baselines are part of the Project Management Plan, and as such are considered controlled documents.

Gabriella
3 years 7 months ago #22866

Anthony Sadowski

Do you need to submit a change request to update the cost and/or schedule baseline if you crash or fast track a project activity?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login