fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process?

Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process? 3 years 7 months ago #22767

• Kayla Quijas
  • Kayla Quijas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

In going over the Create WBS Process, I noticed that the Project Scope Statement is not only an output of the Define Scope Process, but also it is an input AND an output of the Create WBS Process. I would understand it being an output if the output was "updated project scope statement," but that is not the case. I am not understanding how the scope statement in itself can be both an input and an output of the Create WBS Process.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? What am I missing?

Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process? 3 years 7 months ago #22787

• Felix Kamanga, PMP
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Kayla,

The Project Scope Statement is an input of the Create WBS process, but it is NOT an output of that process.
Please check in your PMBOK, 5.4. Create WBS, on page 156.
Felix Kamanga, PMP
Community Moderator

Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process? 3 years 4 months ago #24330

• Kayla Quijas
  • Kayla Quijas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Felix,
Thank you for your response. On page 157 of the PEMBOK, under 5.4.2.1, the project scope statement is listed under project documents as an input. On page 161, it is also listed as an output under 5.4.3.1 as part of the scope baseline. This is the cause of my confusion. Do you have any insight on that?

Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process? 3 years 4 months ago #24395

• Minn Rose
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My understanding is that approved version of the project scope statement is an output of the Create WBS Process. On Page 161 in the PMBOK, it says, "the scope baseline is the approved version of a scope statement, WBS, and its associated WBS disctionary".

Project Scope Statement - an input and an output to the create WBS process? 3 years 4 months ago #24431

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Kayla and Minn,

the project scope statement is an output of the Define Scope process.
Strictly speaking, it is not an output of the Create WBS process per se, but it becomes a component of the scope baseline, which is the "main" output of this process.

Hope this helps clarify the difference between the two.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login