fbpx

Reply: OPM vs Portfolio Management

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : OPM vs Portfolio Management

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 7 months ago #22790

Anonymous

's Avatar

Thanks a lot, I will
3 years 7 months ago #22786

Felix Kamanga, PMP

Hello Siudy,

You may also look at the PMBOK, 1.2.3.6. OPM and Strategies, on pages 16 and 17.
3 years 7 months ago #22777

Siudy Pulido

Thanks a lot for your clarification! And for the quick response.

Best
3 years 7 months ago #22776

Lisa Sweeney PMP

Hi Siudy,

To help explain OPM and Portfolio Management, I’ll share definitions straight from PM PrepCast’s video lesson “Foundational Elements” and from the PMI Library:
Application of organizational project management to a live scenario

PMI’s definition of Organizational Project Management (OPM) comprises Project Portfolio Management (PPM), Program Management (PgM) and Project Management (PM), enabling the achievement of strategic goals of the corporation. OPM adds value to its organization through its support of successful strategic initiatives. It actively coordinates portfolios, programs, and projects with organizational enablers, or the assets and resources that can help turn plans into reality. The purpose of OPM is to ensure the organization chooses the right projects, then allocates resources appropriately. It also makes certain that all levels within the organization clearly understand the vision, goals, initiatives, and the expected deliverables to improve performance.

Portfolio Management (PPM) deals with managing one or more subsidiary portfolios, projects, programs, and operations. It involves identifying, prioritizing, authorizing (selection), managing, and controlling (supervision) projects, programs, and other related work, to achieve specific strategic business objectives. As projects and programs are identified, prioritized, and authorized by the PPM selection processes, these activities should be taken out by an adequately authorized organizational unit. Main objective with these activities is to ensure the linkage between business and IT (or another project delivery organization).

I hope these explanations provide some clarity. I don’t remember any questions on my PMP exam about OPM or Portfolio Management.

I wish you the best, Siudy!
3 years 7 months ago #22691

Siudy Pulido

Hi, I'm somehow confused regarding the difference between OPM and Portfolio management. Both talks about projects, programs and portfolios, aligned to achieve strategic objectives for the organization. Can someone help me pinpoint the difference?

Regards,

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login