fbpx

Reply: Passed my PMI-ACP, first try, March 15, 2016

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed my PMI-ACP, first try, March 15, 2016

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 8 months ago #7811

Kim Foord, PMP, PMI-ACP

Congratulations, Khalil! You mention some very good points on your test preparation and day-of-exam points to follow. Thank you for taking the time to inform others.
7 years 8 months ago #7791

khalil challita

's Avatar

The problem with the PMI-ACP exam is that there is no single reference to rely on. Rather, the Project Management Institute suggests a list of 11 references that the candidate must read. Of course, very few people have the time to go through all these references! Even though, the candidate will always has the feeling to be inadequately prepared for such an exam. Below are some tips to help you prepare very well and very efficiently for the PMI-ACP exam.
Note that it took me around 2 months to prepare for this exam. This is only to give you an idea about the time I spent to follow the lectures, read several books, etc.

1- Enroll in a course that covers the PMI-ACP material. I chose the lectures given by Cornelius Fichtner. They form a very good basis for the exam, as long as you take some notes while you view the lectures.
2- I read 5-6 books from the list provided by the PMI. The ones that I found the most useful are the ones written by Mike Cohn (must read both of them, especially Agile Estimating and Planning), Alistair Cockburn, Ken Schwaber, and Jim Highsmith.
3- Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good exam simulator to test my knowledge. All the ones I tried test what you MEMORIZED. But it appears that during the ACTUAL PMI-ACP exam, almost all of the questions are SITUATIONAL. They test your knowledge and understanding of the different Agile concepts, situations, etc.
4- (Most important tip) During the exam manage your time efficiently. For that, do not panic or get frustrated if you are unable to answer/understand a specific question. Just mark it and skip it. Keep in mind that you must work at a constant pace (your own pace). No need to rush!
For most of the questions, 2 answers may seem correct to you. The other choices can be ruled out quickly if you prepare well for the exam. In order to select the CORRECT answer you need to do 2 things: (1) Think Agile, (2) Ask yourself what would you do in a real-life situation. That's all!

I finished my exam following a steady and constant pace in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I didn't need to review my answers.

Note that I followed the same strategy to prepare for the PMI-RMP exam, and I also got it after the first attempt.

So good luck for your exam.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login