fbpx

Reply: Looking for help in passing my PMI- ACP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Looking for help in passing my PMI- ACP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 10 months ago #21222

Willis Donelson

Hi B Sal,

I can understand your disappointment at not passing the first time around. The key for me to passing the first time was studying a variety of sources. I went through the MG book as you did, multiple times. I also used the PrepCast avideos as well. Additionally, I took all of the ACP-themed courses on PluralSight, which my company pays for. The combination of those sources gave me a very strong foundation and I passed easily. However, I studied for close to six months before I took the exam. So, I highly recommend using another source, such as the PrepCast videos, before taking the exam again.
3 years 10 months ago #20964

Billy MacDonald

I echo what Mohammad said.
- Don’t despair, you’ve done most of the work, one more push will do it
- retake the exam soon, once you’ve been over the study material again
- you don’t need to rote learn the 12 Agile principles but you do need to understand them
- the practice exams here are what got me over the line, they’re worth getting. I used the Head First Agile book, not Mike Griffiths, it was really good, but most people seemed to use the MG book.
- read through the posts on this forum by people who passed and shared their story. There will be insights for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
3 years 10 months ago #20963

B Sal

Thank You for your encouragement Mohammad.

I appreciate it.

Mr. B
3 years 10 months ago #20962

Mohammad Alharbi, PMP, PMI-ACP

I'm sorry to know about your result. With such preparation and being agile practioner before as you indicated, you are at least very close and I beileive your second shot will not be hard at all.
Here are few tips I wish it could help:
- Be ensured that the boundary between pass and fail is too thin and is easily crossable. Failing the exam is not necessarily an indication of disqualification. In contrast, The exam, in a way, is a techniques driven and time management based. This means even a senior agile coach still has to acquire the key to pass the exam.
- It is better NOT to do both handbook and simulator from the same source. There is always a different angel to look at your target through and still all of them are right. In my case, I read Mike Griffith book and did Prepcast simulator. Both were rich and beneficial but combining them together was a key reason to comprehensively understand exam author's mindset.
- I would recommend you to get your focus on the 4 values and 12 principles by investing most of your preparation effort and time in trying to ingrain, absorb and understand them but more importantly on how to practically use them and putting them in the right context. And then any relevant tool or technique you come across afterward, you just correlate each of them back to its corresponding agile principle, rather than digging further in the tool’s attributs and parameters. The exam doesn't test your knowledge of the tools and techniques themselves but where to put them in the big picture.
- Since you started to invest in obtaining the PMI-ACP certificate, don't wait long before doing your second try. The longer you wait the more recaps to do all over.

Good luck and never let this turn down your ambition !
3 years 10 months ago #20961

B Sal

Hi,

I just took the PMI - ACP exam and failed it yesterday. I feel as if I literately hit a wall, and got ambushed both at the same time. Most of the time I felt as if I was on defense and not offense. I felt as if I was on the ropes getting punched from all angles and finally in round 12 the test gave me a TKO! Knocked out flat...

The questions were not the same in comparison to the material I used for my preparation. They were different and for some reason the plan I developed in preparation for my exam evaporated before me.
I used the following material for my preparation - PMP ACP- Exam Prep book (Mike Griffith) along with their online simulator. I read the book three times from cover to cover and took 3 full length tests (3 hours long) and scored above 80%.

Can someone tell me if my study plan was flawed and where I went wrong?

Do I need other types of material or simulators to help me pass the exam on my "second dance" with the test.

I came to this website when I typed the following on my google search engine "I failed my PMI - ACP exam" and it brought me here.

Being an Agile practitioner I am asking for help from the Agile universe of collaborative practitioners for advise and help.

Thank You,

MR.B

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login