fbpx

Reply: Difference between Value Stream analysis and Value Stream Mapping

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Difference between Value Stream analysis and Value Stream Mapping

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 8 months ago #27764

Lahiru Liyanage

's Avatar

Hi Nidhi,
In short Value stream analysis is a process within the Value stream mapping. Simply you can say value stream is a series of steps that occur to provide the product or service that their customers want or need. So in order to provide the desired products company need to steps that are essential. Value stream mapping is where it enables company to have a better understanding of what are these steps and where the value is created. A definition can give as “Value stream mapping is a lean manufacturing or lean enterprise technique used to document, analyze and improve the flow of information or materials required to produce a product or service for a customer.”
Moving on to the Value stream analysis, its a simple assessment of where the value is added and where non value (waste) occurs in the process. Value stream process involve drawing up process flow chart for the business process and analyzing the each stage whether it creates value or waste.
I guess now you get a good idea on the difference.
3 years 9 months ago #21972

Moses kwame Manteaw

's Avatar

Eduardo Enriquez wrote: Hi Nidhi. Per Mike Griffith's definition, Value Stream Mapping is "...a lean manufacturing technique that has been adopted by agile methods. The goal of the technique is to optimize the flow of information or materials required to complete a process, thereby reducing the time it takes to create value and eliminating wasteful or unnecessary work. In Value stream mapping, we create a visual map of the process flow, so that we can identify where delays, waste and constraints are occurring."

Griffiths further breaks down the process into steps, which I will not list here in detail, but one of them is to basically analyze the current process and find delays, waste and constraints.

So, the difference between Value Stream analysis and Value Stream Mapping is that Value Stream Mapping is the actual tool/technique used to identify waste, while analysis is one of the steps in the technique.

As far as the exam goes, and I'll quote Mike Griffiths on this one, "...you should understand what Value Stream Mapping is and how agile teams might use it. ...you most likely won't be asked to do any calculations...the concepts of total cycle time, non value-added time, value-added time, or process cycle efficiency might appear in one or two question."

6 years 1 month ago #13273

Eduardo Enriquez

Hi Nidhi. Per Mike Griffith's definition, Value Stream Mapping is "...a lean manufacturing technique that has been adopted by agile methods. The goal of the technique is to optimize the flow of information or materials required to complete a process, thereby reducing the time it takes to create value and eliminating wasteful or unnecessary work. In Value stream mapping, we create a visual map of the process flow, so that we can identify where delays, waste and constraints are occurring."

Griffiths further breaks down the process into steps, which I will not list here in detail, but one of them is to basically analyze the current process and find delays, waste and constraints.

So, the difference between Value Stream analysis and Value Stream Mapping is that Value Stream Mapping is the actual tool/technique used to identify waste, while analysis is one of the steps in the technique.

As far as the exam goes, and I'll quote Mike Griffiths on this one, "...you should understand what Value Stream Mapping is and how agile teams might use it. ...you most likely won't be asked to do any calculations...the concepts of total cycle time, non value-added time, value-added time, or process cycle efficiency might appear in one or two question."
6 years 1 month ago #13223

Nidhi Kohli

Anyone please help to clarify these two. I see lot of questions on them in all the exam questions I have done so far - both simulator and the online free questions

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login