fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMI-ACP Requirements

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 10 months ago #3333

• Nguyen Anh Tuan
  • Nguyen Anh  Tuan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a question regarding PMI-ACP requirements. According to PMI, the exam taker gonna need:
- 2000 hours (12 months) within last 5 years.  I am PMP, so I meet this requirement.
- However, there is another requirement that is Agile Project Management Experience – 1500 hours ( 8 months) within last 3 years. I am beginner in this field so please advise how could I fulfill this requirement???
I have experience working in software development project but not exactly Agile PM.

Many thanks,
Tuan.

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 10 months ago #3338

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Nguyen,

Your statement about the 1,500 hours is not 100% correct: You wrote that you need "Agile Project Management Experience", but the correct statement is that you need Agile Project Experience.

What is the difference?

You do not need to have 1,500 hours of experience as a Project Manager on Agile projects. You need to have 1,500 hours working in any capacity on a project team that uses Agile concepts to complete their projects. So you could have worked these 1,500 hours as a product owner, designer, software developer or tester. You are not required to show project management experience.

So if the teams that you have worked on used agile principles on their projects (i.e. timeboxing, daily standups, product backlogs, XP development approaches, or others as described in the PMI-ACP Exam Content Outline) then your hours count.

If you cannot show these hours then there is only one thing to do: Get assigned to Agile projects and earn the hours.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nguyen Anh Tuan

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 7 months ago #3750

• Jimmy Varghese
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Cornelius,

I have a few questions regarding ACP experience requirements on the basis of what is mentioned on the handbook. First of all i would like to thank you for helping me out to clear my PMP last month (30th July :) ) . PMP prepcasts was one of the most helpful sources during my prep and for sure helped me in clearing the exam. Now that i'm schema of getting my experience certified i was planning to take up PMI-ACP before i become lethargic.

PMI-ACP hand book mentions: Cannot record the same project or a project by the same name under both general project experience and agile project experience
Cannot count the hours associated with general project experience toward fulfilling the requirements for agile project experience
Cannot use the same project activities to summarize your experience from general project to agile project.

Below are my questions on these pointers:
1)Two of the last three projects which i have used in hours for PMP application used agile methodology. For the last project for which i was the project manager followed scrum framework on the development. While filling up the PMP application i have mentioned my experience on this project. Does this mean i have exhausted my requirement hours while filling up PMP and cant use it in my application for ACP? Does all my experience which have i have mentioned in my PMP which used agile, unusable while filling in the application for ACP? I have not explicitly mentioned usage of agile in project description for PMP application, would that cause a problem when i fill my application for ACP? I was not sure how the ACP application looked like and didnt want to start as i couldnt cancel out of it.

Please share your thoughts on these.
Last edit: by Jimmy Varghese.

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 6 months ago #3751

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jimmy,

You are already PMP certified and therefore you do not have to fill in the "general project experience" section of the PMI-ACP Exam. It is therefore my opinion that you can list your projects under the "agile project experience" section, even though you have also listed these on your PMP exam application.

I say this because the PMI-ACP application only prohibits listing the same project in the two sections of the PMI-ACP application. It does not say "You are not allowed to list them here, if you already listed them on your PMP application".

However, while this seems logical to me, it might be a good idea to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. an get confirmation straight from PMI itself. If you decide to write to them and ask then please let us know what they say.
Until Next Time,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmy Varghese

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 6 months ago #3754

• Jimmy Varghese
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I got a reply from customer care that i could use experience reported in your PMP application for the PMI-ACP application as well.The intention of the handbook qoute is attempting to make clear the separation between general project management experience and specifically agile project management experience.

PMI-ACP Requirements 10 years 6 months ago #3755

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jimmy,

Thank you very much for letting us know. This is good information. Appreciate the feedback!
Until Next Time,
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasJohn Paul BugarinSameer Menda

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login