fbpx

Reply: Can TV shows such as Impossible/Extreme Engineering count to PDUs?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Can TV shows such as Impossible/Extreme Engineering count to PDUs?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #20378

Harry Elston

Good afternoon, Aydin,

You asked for an opinion and your got two: One opinion from a professional and respected Project Manager who as been in the PMI certification game a long time (Cornelius) and one opinion from a person that has a short time in PMP CM maintenance but has multiple professional certifications and has been in a very different game for a long time. Our two opinions differ, but in the long run, neither of our opinions matter: The only opinion that counts is PMI's opinion on approval of a Certification Maintenance form.

What I want you to avoid is the situation where PMI comes back and disallows your CM Worksheet for claiming TV shows because you would lose your certification when it expires. That is probably the worst possible outcome and one that I, personally, would want to avoid at all costs.

Penultimately , the choice is yours. Ultimately, the final word will come from PMI.

Best,

Harry
4 years 1 month ago #20365

Aydin Mallender

Hi Harry,
I think we need to consider that some TV shows are purely for entertainment and others are educational. I think TV shows such as extreme engineering full under then educational category and represent the best exposure engineering and project management get within media.

I have personally watched PDU verified webinars on projectmanagement.com that do not differ significantly from TV shows such as Extreme Engineering. If you watch the recent webinars on the curiosity Rover or the Apollo missions the content is very simialar and they both provide 0.5 PDU for technical and Leadership PDU competencies.

I will pursue webinars, training on Udemy but also I will watch these shows. I believe it is another tool to achieve our PDU requirements.

Watch this and tell me you haven't learnt something about design selection, HSE compliance, environmental compliance, UXO challenges, Risk, schedule, cultural challenges, logistics, etc. :
4 years 1 month ago #20337

Harry Elston

Aydin and Cornelius:

Cornelius is really the expert on this question as he has gone though many PMI certification maintenance cycles. However, I'm going to take a contrarian view of his answer.

I believe that the PDU submission process on the CCRS Dashboard is fully automated and set to "approve" anything that is submitted. I do not believe that anyone is minding the gate at PMI when it comes to PDUs and they are relying on the audit process later on. I say this becase in about 50% of my PDU submissions, I get an approval email notification BEFORE I get the PDU submission notification. It's a little disconcerting.

The following is from my own perspective as one that holds multiple professional certifications:

I would be very wary of submitted shows as you mention for PDUs. First and foremost, they are designed for entertainment, not for professional-level learning. Likewise, it's up to you to decide where it fits into the PMI Talent Triangle. Some will be very easy, some not so much - and eventually you will have to convince someone you're right.

From the perspective of one who has audited people and programs against standard-making or regulation-making organizations, I would personally take a dim view of it as an auditor. If I were to see it on a PDU, I would immediately select it for audit.

From the perspective of one who has submitted multiple Continuing Education worksheets over a career, I would offer this advice: Make sure you have enough professional development activities in addition to all that you claim through this proposed activity to ensure that you have BOTH the minimum amount for the total AND the minimum amount in each Talent Triangle Area to ensure that you can get through the cycle if all PDUs you claim through this activity are tossed. You would be very unhappy if you came up short if a questionable activity was tossed and you didn't have the minimum.

I hope that didn't muddy the water too much.

Harry
4 years 1 month ago #20329

Aydin Mallender

Yeh good advice. I think the production value of these shows makes them an excellent way to earn PDUs, if they're accepted ofcourse.
4 years 1 month ago #20328

Cornelius Fichtner

I can't see why not. I recommend, however, to have very good documentation of your learning:
- When did you watch it?
- What were the topics discussed in the program?
- What sided of the PMI talent triangle does this match with and why?
- Write a 200-word "essay" about what you learned from the program and how it applies to your job. (You can use that as part of your PDU submission).

Do this for one of the shows, submit to PMI for approval, repeat if they accept it.
4 years 1 month ago #20327

Aydin Mallender

Can TV shows such as Impossible/Extreme Engineering count to PDUs?

If you have watched these shows you'll know they typically follow a project and discuss the numerous project/engineering challenges they face. It doesn't seem so different to some webinars I've seen on ProjectManagement.com.

So can TV shows such as this count as PDU's?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login