fbpx

Reply: Can I claim PDUs for reading the latest PMBOK?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Can I claim PDUs for reading the latest PMBOK?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 1 month ago #29122

Anonymous

's Avatar

If you subscribe and listen in e.g. ITunes or iPhones podcast, the app show the day you finished listening to the podcast.
5 years 9 months ago #14416

Cornelius Fichtner

Kamini,

First of all, thank you SO MUCH for calling The PM Podcast "amazing". That is very kind of you.

PMI starts from the perspective that you are an honest PMP who follows the Code of Ethics. Therefore, if you say you listened to the podcast, you are stating the truth.

However, PMI recommends that you keep notes of when you listen to the episodes. Basically... keep a log of your listening activity. To simplify this process I have created a simple spreadsheet that you can use to track this. You can find the spreadsheet here: www.project-management-podcast.com/index.php/pdu/pdu-logfile
5 years 9 months ago #14415

kamini

's Avatar

So instead… go to www.pm-podcast.com/pdu and listen to the hundreds of free interviews that I offer there and listen to them instead.

i am listening to these podcasts, they are amazing but how will PMI know i completed the podcasts.
i dont have to susbcribe to PM podcast for free episodes, so if i am audited, how can i prove that i listen to podcasts beside sharing the excel sheet which I am documenting on my local pc.
9 years 2 weeks ago #5260

's Avatar

Question:
I am certified based on the PMBOK Guide 4th Edition and currently reading the 5th Edition to keep myself updated. Can I claim PDUs for reading this book? If yes, then how many PDUs shall I claim?

Answer:

Yes, absolutely! You can claim PDUs for reading the latest PMBOK Guide to “upgrade” your knowledge to this new standard.

This activity falls under PDU Category C: Self-Directed Learning. Here, PMI writes that “Learning may include informal activities such as [...] reading articles, books, or instructional manuals [...]”. So reading the PMBOK Guide and earning PDUs is officially sanctioned by PMI as a qualifying PDU activity.

You can claim 1 PDU for each hour that you spend reading the latest version of the PMBOK Guide. At a maximum you can claim 30 hours/PDUs for category C activities in total.

My recommendation, however, is that you DON’T read the PMBOK Guide cover to cover. Yes, spend a few hours to review it. See what has changed, look at the new structure, review the new knowledge area of Stakeholder Management and read up on the new processes. But then… stop.

In my opinion, the PMBOK Guide is a reference guide that you should only open in those instances where you need to go back to the theory to make sure that you are doing things right. I don’t consider reading it to be time well spent for earning PDUs because as a PMP you want to go beyond what the PMBOK Guide offers.

So instead… go to www.pm-podcast.com/pdu and listen to the hundreds of free interviews that I offer there and listen to them instead. These interviews will expand your mind, introduce you to new methods and take you beyond the PMBOK Guide.

Now THAT is time well spent. And it’s free!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login