fbpx

Reply: Can I complete PDUs during my suspension period?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Can I complete PDUs during my suspension period?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 3 days ago #4092

's Avatar

Question:
Scenario question from a student:
Let's say my PMP expires on Dec 31 2013 and I only have 50 PDUs credited by that time.
Then I finish my remaining 10 PDUs within 1 month of my expiry date, say by Jan 31 2014.

Which one is true from PMI's standpoint:
1- I lose my PMP Credential for the entire one year (all of 2014) even if I earn the missing 10 PDUs in Jan 2014. Therefore, I can NOT claim to be a PMP on my resume all of 2014.
2- I lose my PMP Credential between Jan 1 to Jan 31 only, but after earning the missing PDUs I can still claim to be a PMP on my resume.

Thanks for clarifying.
Mike

Answer:
This is explained on page 33 of the PMP Credential Handbook www.pmi.org/~/media/PDF/Certifications/pdc_pmphandbook.ashx where it says the following: "Suspended Status: If you do not satisfy the CCR program within your active certification dates, you will be placed on suspended status. The suspension period lasts one year (12 months). If you are in suspended status, you may not refer to yourself as a credential holder or use the credential designation until you earn the necessary PDUs or complete the renewal process, within the one-year suspension period"

In other words: If you don not earn 60 PDUs in your recertification then your status will become "suspended". You may continue to earn and report the "missing" PDUs, but you may no longer call yourself a PMP. You have one year to earn the "missing" PDUs. As soon as you have earned enough PDUs to complete the recertification cycle, then your status will go back to "active" and you can once again call yourself a PMP. If you fail to earn the missing PDUs within 12 months then you will definitely loose the PMP status and you have to retake the exam..

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login