fbpx

Reply: Q: Can I claim PDUs before becoming a PMP?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Q: Can I claim PDUs before becoming a PMP?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 1 month ago #13568

Hashir

's Avatar

Hello,

I completed my PMP back on the 22nd Nov 2016.

My course provider for PMP was kind enough to award me a RMP course soon after the PMP course based on a raffle draw. The RMP classes were scheduled starting from the 12th Nov 2016, meaning that I got to go to 2 classes prior to obtaining my PMP. However, i was not able to do the remaining 2 classes due to personal committments. I have now signed up for replacement classes for the remaining 2 which I will be taking in the next 2 weeks. As I understand the RMP course qualifes for 30 PDUs

My question is, upon completion of the RMP course how many PDUs am I allow to claim ? Can I claim all 30 or should I be claiming 15? Kindly please advise.
7 years 5 months ago #8711

Sangam T

's Avatar

I have a new scenario in this regard, I am appearing for PMP exam in Nov/Dec 2016 and before that I have completed only classroom training of PMI-ACP, no certification completed for ACP. Can I appear ACP exam after PMP and claim these PDU's. .? ?? Is this situation valid for other training such as CSM from Scrum Alliance.. etc.. ?
10 years 11 months ago #3284

's Avatar

Question:
I got my PMP certification on Nov 2010, I attended a Businesses Analysis Fundamentals training from a PMI REP before to be a PMP, could I claim these PDUs. Thanks.

Question from Miguel Gomez

Answer:

Hello Miguel,

I get this question quite often. What usually happens is that we project managers get a lot of training in our career. Then we decide to take the PMP Exam and we take a 35 hour long prep class. We do this to help us prepare for the exam and not necessarily to earn the 35 required contact hours. So when we take the exam we may have quite a number of contact hours above the PMI requirement. Wouldn't it be great, if we could use these additional hours as a "rollover" into our PDU activities?

Unfortunately we cannot do that. The requirements that PMI has in this regard are quite clear: All project management training hours that you have accrued before you take your PMP exam are called Contact Hours. Once you pass the PMP exam, all of these hours "expire" and you start at zero. So you cannot claim any PDUs for anything that you did before becoming a PMP.

Luckily, as you may have learned from The PDU Insider newsletter, earning PDUs is not really all too difficult. There are enough free and commercial PDU opportunities available to help you earn them in a continuing as well as economical fashion. So get started today and try earning about 1.5 PDUs every month to stay on track.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login