fbpx

Reply: Please help me to understand answer

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Please help me to understand answer

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 4 months ago #19113

Leonid Spivak

Another question from simplilearn.com mock test which I believe contains an incorrect answer.

As a project manager of a project, you have just completed Schedule network diagram. What should you do next in schedule management?
A: Estimate Activity Resources
B: Sequence Activities
C: Estimate Activity Durations
D: Develop Schedule

The right answer says to be "A" since Schedule network diagram is an output of Sequence Activities, NEXT process is Estimate Activity Resources.

Per PMBOK, I am seeing that chapter 6.3 Sequence Activities (page 187) follows by chapter 6.4. Estimate Activities Durations (page 195), and Estimates Activity resources is a chapter 9.2 (page 320).

Please help me to understand how does "Estimate Activity Resource" activity from the Project Resource Management knowledge area is the next step after "Sequence Activities" activity of the Project Schedule Management knowledge area. Shouldn't the right answer be C, instead of A?
4 years 4 months ago #19111

Leonid Spivak

Here is another brain twisting mock exact question from simplilearn.com

The purpose of a quality audit is to:
A: Identify inefficient and ineffective policies
B: Identify project quality for customer
C: Study organizational behavior
D: Prepare a report for the quality team

The right answer is said to be A since the purpose of a quality audit is to identify inefficient and ineffective policies. This is where I can say I am not just a confused but genuinely lost.

According to PMBOK, glossary part 3 (page 718), Quality Audits defines as "A quality audit is a structured, independent process to determine if project activities comply with
organizational and project policies, processes, and procedures."

However, in my mind answer A is saying that Quality Audits are designed to review and determine inefficient and ineffective OPA policies which is opposite to what PMBOK says.
Please help me to understand what I am missing here?
4 years 4 months ago #19109

Leonid Spivak

Thank you Tracy for a clue.
So it's a word "experienced team" and an assumption that an experience team will less like missunderstand the requirement than to miss a stakeholder.
4 years 4 months ago #19094

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Leonid,

One of the trickiest aspects of the PMP exam is that the questions often propose multiple answers that are possibly correct. The mission of the exam taker is to choose the best among the answers proposed.

The answer is D because the change being so impactful on cost and schedule implies something much more significant than an ambiguous requirement or scope statement. If the software was ready to demonstrate, this means that the development team has already worked on refining requirements and producing software for the previously identified work. Remember, this is an experienced team. If something that big was missed, most likely it's because someone with key input regarding the needed product was missed and, hence, their requirements are simply not being met.

FWIW, after 35 years in IT software development, I can sadly confirm that big issues in delivery are often traceable to this very issue!

I hope this helps!
Tracy
4 years 4 months ago #19092

Leonid Spivak

In the simplilearn.com mock test there is a following question

You are in charge of building a shopping portal. You are fairly confident as you have a team experienced in doing such work. As per the agreement at the end of the first month, you organize a demonstration of the software. You invite the sponsor and key stakeholders. Later, the sponsor informs you that she is not very happy with the progress, indicating that one of the clients who would be using this software is not satisfied as her needs are not being met. Satisfying this client's needs would mean some radical changes with an impact on both cost and schedule. What could be the root cause of this issue?
A. Deliverables were not as per requirement
B. The stakeholder is making unrealistic demands
C. The scope statement was ambiguous
D. All the stakeholders were not identified

The right answer to that question is indicated to be D. However, nothing in the question indicates that client was missed during the stakeholder identification process.
Why can't the answer be C, as the scope statement could have been unclearly written based on misinterpreted or missed requirements?

Thank you.
4 years 4 months ago #19073

Leonid Spivak

Thank you Lisa.
You are right I just haven't though about it this way.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login