fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Success, 2 months, 4P, 1MP

PMP Success, 2 months, 4P, 1MP 9 years 6 months ago #4634

• Wah Mah
  • Wah Mah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The journey started June 22 when I signed up to the PM PrepCast and finished when I passed the test August 23 with 4 proficients and 1 moderately proficient (closing group).

Background info:
I work full time (engineering) in addition to being a full time dad to 2 kids (3 and 1 years old). Between work and family I am pretty busy so it was difficult for me to consistently find time. At first, I was worried because reading some other peoples lessons learned, they religiously studied 4 hours a day, 10 hours on weekends, took sabbaticals from work, read numerous prep books etc. etc. Something I don't have the luxury to be able to do. In the end, I definitely did not study every day, probably 2-3 hours every other day, slightly more on weekends. Probably ~100-120 hours all in.

Resources Used:

PM PrepCast
- Good as I was able to listen to it in the background as I did house and yard work
- I never had the time to just sit down and give 100% attention to the Prepcast, could have been more effective if I did this
- Recommend as it introduces concepts in a very understandable way

Head First PMP
- I read it once slowly (including doing all the activities) and then read it a second time a little quicker but took notes
- Recommend as it is easy to read and contains probably 95% of the information required for the PMP Exam
- I felt this book was good enough that I didn't read any other prep book
- 84% on practice test, easier than the real test

PMBOK
- I did not attempt to read it as it is very dry
- However, very useful as a reference when I needed to explore concepts further or took look at the various process diagrams and ITTOs

PMP Exam Simulator
- Took 2 full exams during the week before the real exam (82% and 88%)
- Similar to the real test

Oliver Lehmann 75Q Test
- 70-75% (I think, I don't exactly remember now)
- Harder than the real test

Edward Chung PMP Study Notes
- Used these in the final week before the exam to go over all the concepts again

Exam Experience and Tips:
- I wrote a brain dump, but used it very little. However, it is definitely a useful thing to do.
- Finished exam about with about 10 minutes to go. Did not find the need to take any breaks.
- Don't memorize the ITTOs, instead understand them and how they flow together (i.e. what is the path that change requests go from initiation to being part of the final deliverable? How does work performance data -> work performance info -> work performance reports and how are they used?)
- Do at least 2 or 3 different full practice exams. If you can score 80+, you are in really good shape

Good luck!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pavan kumar Dunna
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login