Welcome, Guest
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the PMI Exams.

TOPIC: Passed the exam in Jan - better than I expected

Passed the exam in Jan - better than I expected 1 year 7 months ago #5255

• Vladimira Tritchkova
  • Fresh Boarder
I passed the exam from the first time on January 27th in Geneva, Switzerland and it was a lot better than I expected :)

My results were:
Initiation = Moderately Proficient
Planning, Execution, M&C, Closing = Proficient

I am a full time working Mommy of one year old and the PMP certification was required for my job.
I first started to study in August 2014 with the idea to take the exam on 10th December. I got the bundle package: PM Prepcast & the exam simulator as well as the Rita PMP Exam prep 8th edition. Started with the PM Prepcast videos one by one with no particular strategy because I thought I have time. However, halfway through I got a lot of work with one unexpected project due December 18th and I knew I have to reschedule my exam and set a better strategy for studying.

I rescheduled the exam for Jan 27th and put away everything until New Years.
Once I was back to work on the 5th of Jan 2015 I dedicated 2-3h everyday for study. First I read the Rita book extensively, doing all the exercises and tests in the back. After each chapter I used the simulator to do 2-3 short quizzes (10-25 Questions each) to make sure I understood the topic. For any questions I didn't understand I then went back to Rita.

The last 10 days between 17th -26th Jan I did 6 full exams from the simulator and my scores were between 75%-81%. After each test I went back to the PM Prepcast videos for every topic which I didn't score above 80%. The videos gave me one more perspective to look at the material. I was a little bit worried because I wasn't getting more than 81% on the practice exams no matter how concentrated / distracted I was. Each practice exam took me 2.5h maximum. Right before the exam I went through the PMBOK to review all the graphs and illustration examples.

Using all the tips I learned from Cornelius ;) I created a dump sheet during the first 10 min of the introduction with all the formulas. This helped me a lot because there were more calculations questions than in the practice tests (and this is probably what helped me score better than expected as it was my strength :) ) On the real exam it took me 3.5h to go over all the questions once and then 30min to check some of the questions I had doubts on.

Regardless of the strategy you take, one thing that I found most important is to do as many practice tests and quizzes as possible. This showed me how much I really understood the material and which areas to re-read.

Good luck everyone!
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Mary Kathrine Padua