fbpx

Reply: Prventive and Corrective Action and Contract Types

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Prventive and Corrective Action and Contract Types

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 8 months ago #3619

Malcolm Gonsalves

Ok, it is confusing as well in different scenarios at times. If we look in Quality processes, are these (preventive, corrective, defects) not more applicable? Also, is this a correct assumption on the Qaulity processes: Plan Quality is establishing the stds, QA is following/meeting/esnuring the stds. and QC is conforming/measuring the stds.?
10 years 8 months ago #3618

Cornelius Fichtner

Malcolm,

I have to admit that I have not done an analysis of this, but the logical thing to happen would be that they are A.) created as outputs in processes that fall under Monitoring & Controlling and B.) are used as inputs in processes that fall under Executing.

But again... without looking at every single process it's really difficult to say.
10 years 8 months ago #3617

Malcolm Gonsalves

Cornelius, Thanks for your input. Under which process groups, these actons Preventive, Corrective and Defect Repair fall under, all in M&C or Execution? I was under the impression, defect repair falls under Execution.
10 years 8 months ago #3616

Cornelius Fichtner

Malcolm,

The best place to find definitions and explanations for such terms is in the glossary of the PMBOK Guide.

Corrective Action. Documented direction for executing the project work to bring expected future performance of the project work in line with the project management plan. = One of our processes is not working as planned. Let's bring it back under control

Defect Repair. The formally documented identification of a defect in a project component with a recommendation to either repair the defect or completely replace the component. = There is an error/defect in a deliverable that needs to be fixed

Preventive Action. A documented direction to perform an activity that can reduce the probability of negative consequences associated with project risks. = Your analysis indicated that something may go wrong in the future. This is your way of avoiding this.

These 3 are used throughout the PMBOK Guide and Knowledge Areas. Pretty much any time when you compare your plan to the actual performance will you be able to issue one of these three change request types.

For the contract types I recommend that you watch E12.01.2 from The PM PrepCast (based on PMBOK 4). This is really the best overview that I have for you.
10 years 8 months ago #3614

Malcolm Gonsalves

Hi Cornelius,

Can you tell the difference between Corrective and Preventive Actions, Defect Repair, what KAs, process (i.e. QC, QA)and process groups they are used and would be great if you can produce some sample examples?

I was wondering if you can give good definitions and how/which situation to use those types and sample examples of Contract types (i.e. FFP, CPFF, etc.) and direct and indirect costs.

Also, please look at the attached file sample question and let me know your feedback.

Thanks a bunch and appreciate your prompt response.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login