Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP application - project description

PMP application - project description 6 years 7 months ago #1461

• Chiara Micca
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am submitting the application for my PMP exam. I am wondering if the description of my project experience will meet the PMI requirements.

I have been managing new product development and new processes definition for an automotive company, and I am now leading projects concerning communications and user interaction for an IT company.

Two examples of draft description of projects I wrote:

1-Project title: Company communication training design
Performed benchmarking analysis, created project charter. Defined scope, created WBS and RAM, sequenced activities, developed project schedule. Planned communications and risk management strategy. Gained stakeholders' plan approval. Coordinated international team to execute work according to PM plan. Analyzed product test results, performed integrated change control. Managed communications and risks responses. Gained approval of interim contents and final product. Created project records.

2-Project title: car xxx-new body in white production processes definition
Analyzed previous projects results and high level risks, participated in project charter definition.Created wbs, developed project schedule, performed risk identification. Planned risk responses and communications. Executed work according to PM plan, contributed to issue logs, implemented approved changes. Ensured plant processes to be implemented to requirements, contributed to supplier's quality control. Provided status reports. Obtained acceptance and implementation of results by plant.

I am not sure if this format and content would give enough detail. If not, could you give me suggestions for improvement? Also, I included the project objective in the title: would this be accepted?

Thanks for your opinion on this! :)
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Chiara Micca.

Re:PMP application - project description 6 years 7 months ago #1464

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 157
Chiara,

Your descriptions for the projects look excellent. In fact, the style and tone that you have chosen is EXACTLY the way that I did it on my own application.

The idea is to give a brief description of the project and explain what you have done on the project by using appropriate PMI terminology. That is exactly what you have done.

You are good to go.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:PMP application - project description 6 years 7 months ago #1467

• Chiara Micca
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Cornelius!

Good to hear that.

I'll submit my application than!

Thanks for your help!

Chiara

Re:PMP application - project description 6 years 3 weeks ago #1688

• Adithya Behara
I am facing a similar situation trying to figure out what the expectation is for filling out the project (process group) experience verification form.

The summary you have provided seems to cut across all process groups (am presuming that might be because that was the format at the time) but I have to break it down by process groups and find that I am unable to gauge how much to write in each section.

You think it might help to apply after going through the PMBoK once so I get familiar with the PMI terminology?

I personally prefer applying (by 9.00 P.M 11/14/2010 :-))and knowing the application is through before going ahead full steam with the exam preparation.

Pls let me know your opinion.

Hoping tomorrow is the day my writing skills blossom. :-)

Thanks,
Adithya

Re:PMP application - project description 6 years 2 weeks ago #1697

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 157
Adithya,

Yes - I always recommend to my students that they should 1.) send of their application as soon as they fulfill all the qualification requirements and 2.) only after they have read the PMBOK at least once.

The sooner you apply the more "pressure" you put on yourself to go through with your application and having read the PMBOK Guide means that you know the language and can write your application accordingly.

In regards to how much to write... that's a difficult question. Here, I'd say that you should give sufficient information so that the person who reviews your application gets a good understanding of the project and is able to gauge your personal involvement in leading & directing tasks on the project.

That's really the best advice that I can give, because each project is different and only you can describe it accurately in such a way that it makes sense for the application.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:PMP application - project description 7 months 2 weeks ago #7287

• Jayati
Hello,

Can you please check if the Project descriptions suffices the PMP application Process:

1. Project 1 :: The project provided support and maintenance of SAP applications of the customer -- Identified high-level risks, assumptions and constraints, defined roles and responsibilities to create project organization structure, obtained necessary human resources and monitored performance, defined and monitored the cost budget, measured project performance using appropriate tools and techniques, performed risk reassessment for the project and updated the Risk register, identified and documented lessons learnt and best practices.
2. Project 2 : The project provided enhancement of existing features of SAP applications of the customer -- Identified and documented assumptions and constraints, obtained necessary human resources and maximized team performance, defined and monitored the cost budget, created Risk management plan, measured project performance using appropriate tools and techniques,identified and documented lessons learnt and best practices.
3. Project 3: The project provided enhancement of existing features of SAP applications of the customer. - Identified stakeholders, constrains and assumptions, documented high level risks, obtained necessary human resources and maximized team performance, Estimated Cost, measured project performance and report ed the status to senior management, implement approved actions by following the risk management plan, maintained lessons learnt and best practices.

Re:PMP application - project description 7 months 2 weeks ago #7291

• Michael DeCicco
  • Thank you received: 28
I see you modeled successful examples. I think they are succinct and will pass the standard. Be sure to elaborate details as needed on the application and in case you get audited. Audits are random and nothing to fear, as long as you have documentation. There are some good posts on this forum about audits if you are interested in advice.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP application - project description 7 months 1 week ago #7349

• Vijayalakshmi Iyer
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of completing the PMP exam application (while studying using Prepcast). I have a PhD and 2 years of postdoctoral research experience. My projects as a post doc will constitute as project experience along with non-compensated leadership role as the President of an organization. I worked in an academic setting and my projects were life science related. Although I have experience in all the knowledge areas mentioned in PMBOK, they are not as specific in academic research. Can someone give me an example of a life science research project description that was used for PMP exam application. I am a little lost here :unsure: and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijayalakshmi

PMP application - project description 2 months 3 weeks ago #8272

• Giana
Did you apply?
I'm also in the academic field. I'm having a Little trouble with the descriptions.

Regard

PMP application - project description 2 months 3 weeks ago #8273

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Thank you received: 29
Giana,

Jayati has shown some good examples in this thread of good project descriptions. You only have 535 characters in the PMI application to put the description so you need to keep it clear and concise. Use short sentences or sentence fragments to describe your role in the various aspects of the project, Initiating, Planning, etc... You also need to be prepared to enter the total number of hours spent on each portion of the project you contributed to. Here's another example that might help.

Description
Project Manager. Objective – process a 3D seismic survey in frontier area for purpose of oil & gas exploration and demonstrate technical expertise to partner. Initiated, scoped and planned project with client & key stakeholders. Managed processing effort. Ensured project quality, time and budget met. Ensured collaboration with key technical and R&D experts in organization to meet project requirements. Communicated project updates to overseas client. Wrote final report. Ensured documentation of lessons learned and archival of key deliverables.

Hours Activity
72 Initiating
144 Planning
72 Executing
360 Monitoring & Controlling
72 Closing
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP application - project description 1 month 3 weeks ago #8566

• TA
Hello All,

I am getting ready to submit my application, but wanted to ensure my project description was correct. I PM the same type of jobs each time. We order raw materials and manufacture natural gas measurement packages for the energy sector. I PM the procurement, scope, schedule, execution, and closing. Could anyone let me know if this description looks good? Thanks for any help / feedback!

Objective-Procure materials and manufacture natural gas measurement package for client

As project manager I Identified deliverables and project assessments. Developed project schedule, procurement and QC plans in order to manage deliverables. Maintained relations following stakeholder management plan. Verified deliverables conformed to QC plan, captured lessons learned for continual improvement. Transferred deliverable to stakeholders, obtained feedback using stakeholder management plan

Outcome-Transfer ownership of completed package to client

PMP application - project description 1 month 3 weeks ago #8570

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
TA,

Below is a suggested modification to your description. You only have 550 characters. You are able to define your "role" in another part of the project description for each project so you don't need to restate your role in the actual description. That just takes away from characters you can be using to define your role and contributions.

Project Manager - XYZ Project

Description:
Objective: Procure materials and manufacture natural gas measurement package. Identified deliverables and project assessments. Developed project schedule, procurement and QC plans in order to manage deliverables. Handled all stakeholder communications and maintained relationships. Verified deliverables and transferred final package to client. Obtained stakeholder feedback and captured lessons learned for continual improvement and historical documentation.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP application - project description 1 month 1 week ago #8689

• Need help with project descriptions
  • Need help with project descriptions's Avatar
I'm about to submit the PMP application. I want to make sure it is correct. I am listing all the process. Need help with the description.

Objective: Design, Develop availability and reliability tracking system for internal apps. Deliverables created were dashboards, RestAPI. My role was to develop the charter, define scope, collect requirements, develop schedule. Led the cross functional team to execute tasks per project plan. Manage changes to scope, schedules, performed integrated change control. The outcome was metric system to track reliability of internal apps. Ensure project quality is met and accepted. Organized review meetings, document best practices and lessons learned.

PMP application - project description 1 month 5 days ago #8702

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Need Help,

I would be happy to review your project descriptions for you before you submit the application. I have successfully done this for others on the forum. You can contact me via email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akim Galloway

PMP application - project description-need help 1 week 5 days ago #8942

• Nikita Paliwal
Hello,

I am an Architect by Profession, applying for PMP certification, for which need your help particularly in project description.
Please give your suggestion for further improvement.

1. PROJECT 1
Program-Architectural and Landscape Development of Al-Khor Stadium, Qatar
Sub Program-Landscape Development
Project Undertaken-Preparation of Tender Drawings
Deliverable-Tender Drawing Set for floating Tender
My role was of a Project Co-ordinator, directed and managed project work, was a one point source for the co-ordination between all the services consultants. Conducted Design Review Meetings for issue resolving, managed communications,managed drafting team and Supervised for the quality assurance within the project scheduled time.

2. PROJECT 2
Program- Architectural Development of Arihant Publication House.
Project: Architectural Design of the Campus
Deliverable: Design and Working Drawings
My role was of a Project Architect, developed the project charter, collected requirements, defined scope,prepared WBS, defined activities,developed schedule, estimated resources, estimated budget, identified risks, managed stakeholders,supervised and managed the drafting team, Conducted Design Review Meetings for issue resolving, managed communications, obtained acceptance from the client.

3. PROJECT 3
Project: Landscape Development of Brookfield Technology Park, Bangalore
Objective: Landscape Design
Deliverable: Landscape Design Presentation
My role was of a Landscape Architect, developed the project charter, collected requirements from client, defined scope, Created WBS, defined activities, developed schedule, allocated resources, developed the ballpark estimate, conducted design review meetings with stakeholders for intermediate approvals.

Thanks
Nikita
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Mary Kathrine Padua, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®